Length of legs post TKR...New one longer?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I haven't seen it mentioned, but I'm curious.  I would think so in most cases.  If so, does that cause walking problems, back pain, etc.?

My first TKR is scheduled Oct. 16 here in the States.  Nervous Nellie, I am...  cry

1 like, 44 replies

Report / Delete

44 Replies

Next
  • Posted

To begin with I thought one of my legs was longer after the op, but after a while, I realise it isn't. . it really did look as if the thigh was longer on the operated leg. . .I would hope that you would never get this problem, as it would, I am sure, cause a lot of added problems with hips, back etc. . . 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Mary Ellen. No they shouldn't be...and in fact my Pt actually measured them..not sure why as it'd be too late to fix by then. If they were, you're right it would probably cause no end to issues in your back, hip, knee and ankle. They do all sorts of measurements beforehand. Good luck in October
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, Donna.  Good to hear.  With just a few weeks left until my first surgery, I have SOOOOOOO much to get done.  I'm grateful for you and everyone else on this blog...what a BLESSING to have "real human beings" who have actually survived TKR's and can help light my (scary) path...!!!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It's a nightmare isn't it? I'm pulling 14/15 hour days trying to get things organised at work for being away and still nowhere near ready... And then trying to spend as much time as poss in the gym to strengthen my quads...

At some point I'm going to have to find some time to try and think about what I might need to take to hospital, and get some frozen food in for when I'm back and not up for shopping... And possibly push a Hoover round, so I don't have to do it on crutches...

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, definitely forget the Hoover for a whlle. .it's one of the things which is not recommended!  I think it tends to move the knee laterally, which is not a good thing. . . 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, indeed..!!! eek  I'm not very well organized to begin with, so am forcing myself to make lists and check things off as often as possible.

Thanks for reminding me about what to take to the hospital...an important list, for sure..!!!  smile

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Outside of work my only knee related check list is pack, tidy the house, get some food in... Now you've got me worried I should have other checklists!

i guess I'm not so worried about hoovering, so much I am about having a tiny cramped house and a pathologically untidy husband ( it's not uncommon to find bits of his racing motorbike in the living room)... And our bathroom is one of those where you have to shuffle round between the edge of the door and the bath cos everything is so tightly packed in to a teeny room... That's gonna be 'hilarious' on crutches!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Just some loose clothing to wear home and shoes that are easy on. Normal personal hygiene but you aren't going to be participating in a fashion show. The open back gown will stay in place as the uniform of the day. More than likely you'll have a catheter for 24 to 48 hrs. and the drs and staff want easy access to the surgical site all the time you are there. If you haven't been advised ahead of time, you'll want to know if you are under the care of a surgeon that required the wearing of Ted hose.......those fashion statements that are worn to prevent blood clotting. You'll definatly need held getting them off and on for awhile.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Don't give a stuff about fashion, but for basic dignity I am taking Ts and baggy shorts and getting dressed asap... Definitely not wondering around a public building in nightwear or gown!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's why its called a hospital......no body cares. If you've seen one tear end you've seen 'em all. I just don't want anybody pointing at body parts and laughing because I was dealt a smaller portion. Like i told one nurse, I guess it all evens out. I got big feet and ears.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Nothing to do with that. Like I said its a public building. Members of the public are not to be trusted. People are occasionally physically and sexually assaulted in hospitals, just as they are in other public spaces. The only place I would ever feel comfortable being undressed is in my own home with a locked door.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You'll just have to wait and see. With a catheter a gown is really the only apparel that will work. You won't be out roaming around without help anyway. The therapy folks will have a belt around your mid section to prevent falls. Dr's will dictate a lot of what goes on as they want immediate access to the surgical area at all times in case there is a need or desire to change bandages. On 4 occassions I had to have a wound vac to handle the excessive bleeding for 3 days. Treatment is what you are there for and the most important thing is that its timely and proper.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes, it sounds like an excellent idea. . apart from the fact that there was no sleep to be had with having to use the bedpan at least ten times a night! My back was killing me at the end of three nights of that!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for the fashion tips, OFG..!! smile

No mention of "TED Hose" by my dr, I will email him and find out.  Since I plan to discharge to a care facility instead of home, I should be getting the help there if TED's are required.  I do remember having some kind of air-filled boots on the last time I had surgery, which was in 2001.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have used the rehab facility the law 3crimes. What a God send. You get all the help you need and don't put any pressure on the family for care. I'm supposed to be caring for my wife. She certainly had no business running after my whining and complaining. Medicare has really been great about all this. I now have a million $$$ leg and still can't walk but at least don't have to worry about having my pockets picked by health care.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Besides not having a catheter, I also didn't have to wear those awful 'TED hose'. Probably because when I came out of surgery, my leg was wrapped from crotch to ankle in very wide ACE type bandages.  I stayed in bed the day of surgery, except to go to the bathroom. They had me using a CPM machine the 2 1/2 days I was in the hospital. The day after surgery, they had me up climbing stairs and getting in and out of a 'mock up' car, to be sure I could manage both in order to go home.

Also a note when it comes to your pain meds...if they offer you a stool softener TAKE IT. I didn't and was 'tied up' for 10 days. They didn't bother to tell me that the opoides they give you can put a stop to or slow down bowel movements... 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up