Less Thyroid Supplement as you Age?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been on a relatively high dose (275) for many years and felt fine.  Now suffering tiredness, palpitations and other possible symptoms of hyperthyroidism.  My doctor is reducing the dosage. My question is:. Is it likely that I do indeed need a lower dose as I age, and will suffer from hyperthyroid symptoms if the dose is notreduced? I am now age 73.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dave its just a thought but I know they like ploughing a lot of drugs into us older ones. Is it possible that you might be taking another drug that might be interfereing with your thyroid medication as some drugs do.
    • Posted

Kathleen, That's a really good question!

Scazzoh, your T3 result is very low. Are you on anything that would affect the conversion of T4 to T3?

• Posted

HI can I ask what the figures T4 T3 relate to in comments below.... I do take Levo but a much lower dose than those below... any help would be appreciated
    • Posted

Mandy, I am not the best qualified to explain.  You should find good explanations on Wilipedia though.  Good Luck!
  • Posted

thank you.... I have been quite complacement re taking the meds but now ive the Diabetes thought I had better get my act together abit.
  • Posted

Hi Dave,  I'd also recommend you get some magnesium supplements, this helps with tiredness/ palpitations/ stress/ insomnia/muscle aches and spasms/ blood vessel relaxation and numerous other areas.  Best wishes. 
    • Posted

Thanks Leigh, I heard that somewhere else just today so will probably give it a try
  • Posted

Dave the adrenal glands also have to be OK for thyroid medication to work. I suffer from irregular heart beat and of course they want my to concider going on different blood thinners to warfarin. I had also been taking Prednisolone which I have tailed off but yesterday morning I took some Nutri Adrenal Concentrate and another about miday and I ended up with another spell of Atrial Fibrillation that lasted a whole day. Both Prednisolone and the Nutri Adrenal Concerntrate raise cortisol, so have been doing some research on AF and took a good article on this to my GP as raised cortisol can cause it and cortisol comes from the adrenal glands that in turn can upset the thyroid. By looking all this up I came across Holy Basil which helps the adrenal gland but does not increase or lower cortisol. The only side effect is that it thins the blood which Doctors want me to have, but Holy Basil does not have the long list of side effects. I have also seen that some thyroid patients take this Holy Basil. I have already ordered some so keep you posted.
    • Posted

Dave keep off the Holy Basil. It caused my BP to rise so much that I had to take one of my pills to lower it. My temp was higher than normal but I decided to take my one grain of NDT and carried out searches to see if the Holy Basil was the culprit. It came up with a site that had a warning it raises thyroid hormones and if you are taking thyroid medications it suggested asking your Doctor if you should take it and that is what I had done and his answer was that he knew nothing about it. If it raises the T4 and one cannot convert to T3 the T4 would build up. I stopped both the NDT and Holy Basil  and resumed NDT this morning.There are no warnings on the bottle of Holy Basil.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.