Lesson Learned about Sugar

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies, learned a BIG lesson today. I have not had any ice cream for 2 or 3 months. Anyway, today I was craving some chocolate ice cream, I had a scoop. Well, 3 hours later, my breast and chest started HURTING and even burning and swelling. I also felt super dry mouth and really thirsty, my blood sugars went up really high.  I feel really angry that I cannot even have a small treat of ice cream, its so unfair and I know I sound like a little kid and there are foods that are tasty and good too, it seems unfair that our bodies have done this to us before menopause even with my diabetes I could have an occassional treat, but since menopause I cannot even have an occassional treat as it relates to a small candy bar or a brownie. I dont want to go overboard but now and then. I see where a lot of ladies say menopause and peri screw your blood sugars up and my doctor told me the same thing. So, thats the end of ice cream. Damm/

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Agree lennie my sugars were very erratic during peri, i do have problems with low blood sugar anyway, but it got that way that i couldnt put a single piece of fruit in a day. let alone 5 like they advise to have, and when i mentioned this to my gp the problems i was having with my sugars, and could this be the menopause, she just shrugged her shoulders, she never even tied it in with menopause, so well done to yours for picking it up.  Wait till you have a hypo then you might ge away with it, i find i can eat tiny amounts of sugar now, when my symptoms are milder.
    • Posted

Elaine, I agree, I was so angry and I am over it now, I was really venting. Thank God I have  this board to visit when I have an issue. LOL I am sort of over it now, I am going to walk on my treadmill and eat some protein.  I can tolerate small amounts of fruit without a big increase, but grapes, honey crisp apples, raise it too,. Its definitely a result of the peri because I have not had these types of reactions befo before it all started, I guess its back to decaf coffee with a little-unsweetened cocoa with Splenda.  Thanks Elaine. You are great. 
    • Posted

Yes, certain 5 fruits a day does not work for diabetics at all. It will send my sugar soaring. Some fruits are ok for me like green apples, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, that does not run it up.
    • Posted

yes lennie im the same, struggle with grapes, and some apples for some reason, heard blueberries are good for diabetics being a superfood, and pommegranite although not a fan of them myself, pommegranite juice is ok, crisps another bad one for me also, you know your own body, you no what to put in and what not too, sometimes i can have a caffinated coffee, but sometimes not, the body is a very strange thing isnt it, all about balance, what a pain!!!!  i agree with both you and gentleballads everything in moderation, it will settle, your doing great lennie. 
  • Posted

lennie, its true blood sugar goes haywire during peri

so it is not a time to take drastic decisions

give it some time to pass, dont give up

dont close yourself - cant have sugar, cant have gluten, cant have fat

remain open, if it doesnt work out today ...try again ten days later

• Posted

I agree about not giving up, I think the issue that frustrated me the most was its been a long time since I have eaten anything like that and when I do, wham! Its bad enough that symptoms come and go frequently, that I am on an anxiety merry go round, I fell down the steps over a month ago and my knee STILL hurts, my marriage is going downhill, I have significant health anxiety. I am just feeling so bad and I guess the reaction to the ice cream was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back
    • Posted

i know how you feel lennie

i also feel frustrated about the way things unfold around you on top of health issues

just try to calm your nerves, do breathing exercises, take your old meds

there are no sure shot methods to cure peri and meno symptoms

its different from person to person and day to day

so dont let peri define you

• Posted

thank you gentleballads, you are right about not letting peri define me. Thanks for all your advice. I wish I could drink and relax but even alcohol causes problems,  Totally sucks. But, I can take a hot bath and listen to Marvin Gaye,  LOL
    • Posted

yes thats how it was getting me, it got that way, that i didnt know what to eat, god i hope you can get your marriage back up.  It is that, it wasnt the ice cream itself, it was just something else ontop of everything, it is extremely frustrating. 
    • Posted

The marriage issues have been bad for a long time, the menopausal issue just aggravates it. As far as the sugar, I think my anger about how I reacted to it is symbolic of all my other problems. One issue that I have totally decided to eliminate is to STOP reading any articles on facebook regarding health issues, i.e do you have heart disease, do you have blah, blah, signs of this. I am convinced that this is a significant factor in my anxiety. It just happened a few minutes ago I was on F.B and I was deluged with ads and articles about health issues. I am thinking WHY are they doing this to people, I know its meant to help women be aware but its overwhelming when you have health anxiety. Yes, I agree that if I were not dealing with the changes in my body and an awful marriage the ice cream reaction would not have been as upsetting./ 
    • Posted

Elaine hi,  I just sent a long post a guess what the moderator blocked me because I mentioned a website that EVERYBODY knows about because its social media. I will send it again without that social media that everyone knows about, honestly the moderator is very irritating too.
    • Posted

I have decided to also stop reading health post meant to inform and help people, especially women of our age. Unfortunately, it often for me leads to more anxiety by its title and the message. I realize its not meant to lead to this type of stress, but for me it does. I have talked to other people who have said the media has created fear and panic for so many people even in their attempt to inform.  As far as the moderators here,. I understand that they have to censor insulting or even schemes and medical comments What I don't understand is that if a product has helped you and you tell me about it,.  I am an adult I can research it,. we are not children. Someone who told us about a very good product was blocked. I did the research on it.  But the blocking today was totally ridiculous everyone knows about this particular social media website.  
    • Posted

Lennie..............yes agree, when i stopped reading the web i felt mentally more settled if that sounds right, the problem is, that there are so many illnesses out there that give the same symptoms as one another, and for some reason we choose to believe that we have got the worse of those illnesses, where as the majority of the time, it turns out we have something very simple and commonly wrong with us thats totally treatable in one way or, another, but i think what we do is, prefer to believe the worst, incase it isnt, and during peri, going through worsening anxieties makes us blow what we read completely out of proportion!
    • Posted

Elaine, absolutely, the symptoms we experience often are very similar to very serious illnesses and as you said since we are also dealing with significant anxiety, this becomes a perfect storm. I can remember as a perfect example the swelling I had in my arms I showed the doctor and he said well you have lipedema and the areas where there is significant adipose (fat) swell. And, he said that its not dangerous but it's irritating and he said losing weight would help,. I was totally, totally freaked out about this, I am trying and really trying to assess my symptoms critically without going berserk and going to the dr. and not imagining the worse. I also am avoiding the websites that open up with dire warnings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.