Let's Hear the Good News

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm probably going to have TNR less than two years after PNR. It would be nice to hear some success stories to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Are you happy you did it? Are you able to continue a somewhat active lifestyle?  Are you pain-free?

I'm sure for those of us that are trying to overcome post surgical issues, a dose of positive news would be most beneficial. 

0 likes, 10 replies

Report / Delete

10 Replies

• Posted

I had TKR on 3/21/2016 and returned to work on 4/11/2016.  The key is to do your therapy even though it hurts. I quite the narcotics after the first week because I was an itchy mess.  I am able to control pain with 800 mg ibuprofen and Tylenol.  I am also able to bend to 130.  I am walking and riding a recumbent bike.  After the first 3 or 4 days the therapy gets easier.  I can honestly say that the pain after surgery is less than the pain before surgery.  Just keep positive thoughts and work hard, but don't over do.  You've got this Barry!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Here's some positive words. My first knee healed miraculously, an unusual thing. Off pain meds by 3 weeks and able to do my exercises without difficulty.

My second one was slower but still a reasonable recovery. By 10-12 weeks I'm off my cane, walking up the stairs normally and walking my dog at a reasonable pace.

Someone asked me the other day if I would do it again. I replied, that I would do it in a minute. I am able to walk without pain and my quality of life has improved 100 percent.

Hang in there. Be patient and take your pain medication so you can do your exercises. You will be successful.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Barry

If you want to hear fairytales it would be best to talk to your doctor they have a way of whitewashing the truth. If you want the truth read these forums. First let me say my doctor was wonderful and Damn good at he's job but if they tell you the whole truth they would be out of a job. Being the chicken I am I opted to have both done the same time,and many days I regret having them done but these forums help I know I'm not alone. If you go into this expecting to try to do your best you will get through it. There will be good days and there will be bad. But the options for me were pain every day because I was bone on bone both knees and I would have ended up in a wheelchair. So good luck and keep the faith.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I'm having a bad day right now with a swollen knee after moving it the wrong way or something. I do believe that those with successful knee replacements don't have a need to search out forums and are moving forward in life. 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Barry!

Swelling can come from a host of different reasons! Some knees/legs swell a lot. Others hardly at all. I've had one of each!

I had two successful TKRs with no complications, but I STILL gain A LOT of insight, support, and great information from being on this forum. Most helpful to me is having so many who have gone through the experience. Family and friends can be GREAT, but unless they have gone through TKR surgery and have dealt with all the recovery issues, it is hard to completely understand. People here DO understand! I have gained great comfort from that!

I think it is also very important to share stories and to answer questions that can help others. So many people here helped me along MY two journeys even though I didn't have complications or bad outcomes from my surgery.

I've never been on a forum with people as amazing as those on this forum. I hope you will visit often and share your experiences. It is a nice place to come to vent also!

I hope your swelling issues are better very soon!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I think you are so right. I sought out this forum before having a TKR twelve months ago, it nearly put me off going ahead. However, I found the whole process much less painful than I imagined, I had a trouble free recovery, followed all the physio routines etc and I am so thrilled with the result. Before the op I struggled to take a short walk, I know go for daily long walks with the dogs and stand for long periods in both of my jobs (teaching and cake making). I am enjoying life so much more now I have got rid of that painful knee.

I have just revisited this site as my mum has had a TKR a week ago and I was going to suggest she join the forum too.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Barry the pain after surgery will not be any worse than it is right now.  AND is won't last as long...  I swear the key is doing the therapy even if it hurts.  I am at work and according to my Fitbit I have walked over 2 miles...  My biggest "pain" right now is my hamstrings (part of therapy)...  When I signed on to this I didn't realize it was going to be so negative.  You can do this. Go in positive and stay positive and you will be fine.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Barry I am in week 11.  the first week was the worst.  I was able to drive by about the end of 3 weeks and went back to work part time after 4 weeks.  My rom is now 130+ and the leg is finnaly straight but that took me until week 10.  It does take a lot of work and sleep is not your friend for the first 6 weeks at least.  But it was worth it as it is now pretty much pain free.  Need to do the other one next year. 
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

My words of wisdom to you are. Everybodys different.  We all heal at different rates.  We all are different ages, and that makes a big difference too. The recovery will take longer than you think, but it will be good pain, in so far as it is healing pain and will be worth it in the end.  My take is do your PT every day, but do it gently, dont go mad, no pain no gain didnt work for me and set me back a couple of weeks.

The best of luck on your journey Barry

Ann

The Irish One!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Those that have sailed through this procedure would have no need to sign onto a forum.  For the hundreds of people on this site and others, there are many thousands out there that have been successful.  Look at the statistics, they will speak for themselves
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up