letter from hospital worrying me

Posted , 4 users are following.

had a letter today from the hospital where I had my cysts removed, it is signed by a junior Dr and just says to contact my Gp at my convenience to discuss further care because of the results of some tests done whilst I attended hospital. Of course I got home at 6.30pm too late to phone my Gp. 

Is this a standard letter badly written ? It infers that I need further treatment but consultant verbally said all appeared normal when he talked to me after op. Can any one advise? I feel sick at the thought of it.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

May well be that the pre-op blood tests showed something was low such as iron. Also if you are on HRT whether to stay on it. If you had your ovaries removed it will be to discuss whether you need HRT.

Also it says at your convenience, if there was any concern they would do it themselves or say as a matter of urgency.

• Posted

Kept ovaries thankfully, most of Fallopian tubes removed, no hrt.  Just wish they would be more open and straightforward in these letters if it is something simple like low iron, then I and I'm sure many others would avoid the stress and worry. This will be something else to add to my letter of complaint! 

Thanks Taz for your calm and sensible reply.

• Posted

Yes I would think maybe Iron or HRT too or they would have made you an appointment at the hospital if things were not okay xxx.  I had a blood test for Iron a few weeks after my hysterectomy last year. 
  • Posted

Having worked in a hospital sending out letters such as this I can tell you that they a deliberately vague about whats happening, as it is always best to speak to the patient in person. If it was urgent they would have told you to contact them as a matter of urgancy, or even get theirm secretary to contact you and book you in. I am sure its fine, but if it was serious the letter would indicate that, words like "urgent" "immediately" etc... would be used.
    • Posted

My Gp surgery thinks the Dr has sent a repeat letter of the one I had due to an infection developed in one of the wounds! Sent out 3 days apart, written identically.  So it seems I was worrying for nothing. So frustrating . The hospitals hopeless with its communication I have had one mistake after another after another!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.