Levothyroxine

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi I was diagnosed a year ago with under active thyroid and was put on split dose of Levothyroxine. Since then my hair which was already fine has become very fine I have put on weight my joints ache I get random shooting pains, headaches, my eyes are light sensitive and I can feel quite down is this common? I still feel just as tired I wake up exhausted. Is this it for the rest of my life? Is there anything I can do to help my body?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

How many mcg do u take? How often do u have your tsh, free T4 and free T3 checked?
    • Posted

Hi Mary I am taking 75mcg Monday to Thursday then 100mcg Friday to Sunday. Bloods are done every 6 months.
  • Posted

Hi joanna

These are all very common hypo symptoms. Lots of people don't do well on levothyroxine or don't convert it to the active t3 hormone. Sometimes people experience these symptoms even when the Tsh and T4 blood results come back as normal

The good news is there are other options you could try. You can get a trial of liothyonine on the nhs. This is a synthetic t3 medication. This is usually trialled as a combination with levothyroxine (T4 hormone). Some people find this med too much and can cause heart palpitations and increased hair loss. However, it does make some people feel more awake and some people have said hair has started to grow back when takingthis. It's very individual.

The final option (which the nhs won't fund but you can obtain on a private prescription in the UK) is NDT. Unlike the two meds mentioned above, this is natural hormone rather than synthetic and taken from pigs or cows usually. I've heard really good things about this med and something I would like to try at some point.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up