Levothyroxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my thyroid take out ( C) word in 2009. I've always been told to take it in the morning. Today I was reminded to take it on an empty stomach, wait 30- an hour to eat and don't take vitamins until 4 hrs after. I now have a cholesterol issue along with vitamin D deficiency and a sugar issue! I'm very athletic and outgoing and this just starts in my 59th yr of birth! What???? I've never taken a pill every day till my surgery! I'm blown away, most comments I've read are taking the 50mg where I take 125mg

On top of all this I've lost my libido ( completely gone) hubby is an angel and just loves me for me, what a sweet man if 37 yrs! Uugggg I'm gonna try the night time and see if is any better for me! That way I can take my vitamins and such in the am. Thanks ladies for sharing! ❤️ Thyroid sisters

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I hope to have a thryroidectomy myself soon so I'm following this with interest. I presume that when you first had the op you were stable as it's coming up seven years. If you have other health issues it could be them causing your symptoms but you don't mention what your consultant says. I'm sure it was explained to you before surgery that most people who opt for removal end up being hypothyroid and thyroxine needs to be taken for life. As for your dose - well we're all different. I've found that at a 'certain age' all sorts of things start to go wrong so it may not be thyroid related.
    • Posted

Yes, I was stable and very athletic, but I didnt not notice that I had ballooned till my family doctor said my neck was swollen! He got me an appointment to get a biopsy and then it went from there! I had cancer so it was not an option to have it removed it was a must! I do understand we are all different, just wondered it it mattered if it was removed and not hyperthyroidism on when it's taken. Yesterday he called and made sure I knew I was suppose to take it on an empty stomach and that I should not eat for 30- hour and then not take my vitamins 4 hrs after that! I said I've been on these since 2009 and now your telling me! He thinks my levels even though it was a fasting text that doing it a different way may have the test different! I have to say I didn't know about the vitamins being taken 4 hrs adterward but I knew the rest from the beginning. I'd like to try taking my Levo at night- that way I don't have to worry about when I take my vitamins during the day.. Any thoughts on that?
  • Posted

Hi there

I used to take my levo in the morning,but now take it at night and my days are so much better, libido could be your age, I am 57 next birthday and sometimes my libido is low especially when i am tired, worrying about it makes it worse too. Make sure you still have plenty of cuddles with hubby so you don`t loose that closeness and he still feels loved.

My cholestral has gone up too even though i generally have a very good diet, lots of veg, I have started walking to shops instead of going in the car, and i only buy what we need for that day then i have to make more trips, its hard at first and sometimes when its horrible weather i will give in and use the car but it does make me feel better having the walks and hopefully cholestral will be lower on next test so i wont need statins as i like you take no other meds apart from Levo and want to keep it that way.

I don`t think it matters about you r dose of 125mcg if thats what you need don`t worry we are all different, and if you lower it you could put on more weight too !

I am not medically trained these are my thoughts.

Good luck, summers on its way so we should all start feeling better !!!smile

• Posted

I wondered if it mattered about having it removed completely as I saw all the posts on just having hyperthyroidism which I do not have! It could be different because they are treating the thyroid different and I don't have one to treat really! I am a very careful watcher of what my food intake is! I love my veggies and fruit. We eat veggie burgers- it is not likely because of what I eat! He thinks it could be when I take my vitamins and such so he informed me it could cause the blood levels to read different! I am going to try the night time trick and see if it doesn't help how I feel during the day! We do still cuddle and that's what I love about him, he doesn't make me feel bad about it! We love each other far past the love making! We decided on forever! 😊 Thank you for your response- good luck with yours

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.