Levothyroxine and resting heart rate

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I am a 38 year old female on thyroxine for under active thyroid now 4 weeks in. I am very fit - exercise mostly daily and am strong. Heart rate was 60 but since starting on 50mcg it’s climbed to 74. Is that normal? I am no less tired than I was not surprising if my heart rates shot up! Tsh was at 17.5 and the other one I can’t remember the term was low at 5,5

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It could be that your thyroxine dose needs to be slightly adjusted. The best way to know is by having a follow-up thyroid function test. When my resting heart rate goes up like that and the heart beats stronger as well I know that I am hyperthyroid. At the moment my heart rate is in the 70s and I am on antithyroid medication. My normal heart rate is closer to 60 bpm.
  • Posted

Tried to PM you but not working. There are a few forums as well as this one for thyroid issues. Thyroid UK. There is absolutely masses of info on there together with support and advice on nutritional issues .Take care.
  • Posted

Lucia, I won't comment to your specific situation , but I was I was a lot like you it sounds. I was blind sided  with an "abn TSH", but I felt fine. I was a bit older than you. My experience has lead me to believe once you start approaching "40" doctors are of the belief all woman need thyroid replacement cause their protocol says so!  With in a year of being on the crap I had low grade hypertension and elevated heart rate. It will cause it . Not my hair brained idea, but confirmed by Mayo Clinic! God help you if you get those beautiful numbers back. We have a sick healthcare system that wants us all to believe we need to be on some triad chemical potions and we can't be healthy with out them!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.