LFTs soaring and bowel pattern changes 2 weeks post op -

Posted , 3 users are following.

Have others experienced a major shift in bowel movement since having a cholecystectomy? Sorry if this is a bit gross but my stools are reddish and dark and float now and I've never had this before as I'm a very healthy eater. I have had a lot of reflux but also been on two powerful antibiotics until last Monday for infected laperoscopy wound (sepsis).

Also has anyone had their liver function tests come back all up in the 300s post op? My GP says this is probably normal because my liver was in contact with my gallbladder so the surgeon had to cut the GB away from my liver. I just wonder if anyone knows how common this is and how soon I might expect my liver repair itself. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The liver has an incredible power to regenerate so any damage caused by the cutting will soon be insignificant however it's also one of the bloodiest parts of the body - all blood flows through it like water through a sponge. So liver surgery and means you can't ignore it; bleeding liver can be a major problem. You don't give any idea what colour red or 'dark' so can't comment anyway I'm not a Dr. Best ask a Dr.  The stools floating is irrelevant usually, it's the colour(s) that matter. From your post I assume your op was very recent.  Give the surgeon or their secretary a ring today.
    • Posted

Thanks Tom - I had the surgery two and a half weeks ago. Unfortunately the surgeon discovered too late that he should have gone for opening me up because of location of my GB and size of stone. But there is only one small theatre and the scrub team were finished for the day and is already been postponed for emergencies twice - so he had to go through with it by keyhole.

As the main incision was so badly in

infected I had another ultrasound which didn't show any sign of damage to my liver so all the infection was local to the wound. I'm a complex patient anyway - on steroids and so on.

I told the district nurse about the dark red stools and severe reflux/ heartburn and she made me give a sample - not had the results of the culture back yet. I was assuming that this change in motions probably related to the two antibiotics. But I completed them on Monday and yet still noticing these strange looking motions. Not constipated, not the runs and nearly 3 weeks post op now so this is why I ask if anyone else has noticed the same change.

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  Infection is a massive issue and oddly seems to be more so in recent times; is it that the antibiotic cover isn't as effective, is it there are more bugs, or that modern mininally invasive practices are an issue? Or just that they get us out the door within hours.  You sound clued-up.  Since you and the DN have seen the stools I assume they are not showing signs of fresh or altered blood in any of its kinds?  At least that means you're not bleeding into the GI tract. Hope you get an answer soon sad
    • Posted

Thanks Tom. I gave the stool sample to my GP on Monday and the culture still hadn't come back from the lab on Thursday. Not sure if this is a good sign or not - it may just mean they are understaffed.
  • Posted

Find another doctor. This sounds odd. Stools will wil be mixed for months *and years) to come. Don't worry about those puppies as at least you're pooping ;-) The infection is worrisome and I think you should get yourself checked out with more lab work and get a Lipase level done to make sure it's not a pancreatic issue. I went through the same thing in May  of this year and I almost died of pancreatitis twice!! It landed me in the hospital for one month. Thye had to clean out common duct of stones and then take my gallbladder out. IV anitbiotics for fours weeks. Dilaudid 2MG every three hours for ten days straight. I'm telling you you can not take care of this pain meds, it will KILL YOU! Tell the docs to take it out!! Once out, you can eat just about everything. I went from 160 pounds down to 139 punds in hospital and here we are in August and I'm 175 pounds and 100% better. No pain, no where.
    • Posted

Hi Greggjames. I have had my gallbladder out just under 3 weeks ago - that's the point! I agree about the poops and at least, as you say, I'm now very regular - and even better I'm losing weight slowly but surely - a stone since New Year despite being on steroids.

The infection was a sepsis caused by an abscess under the gallbladder keyhole incision. Basically the surgeon should have done my up the full abdominal way but ran out of time as theatre team were due off and I live in a remote area. They postponed me three times already for emergencies so couldn't stop half way through the laperoscopy.

It's the high liver function tests that are worrying me but I get retested today. The surgeon had to remove my gallbladder and very large stone (3cm) by detaching it from the surface of my liver he explained.

I've had pancreatitis from a drug I took for rheumatoid arthritis already this year - finished my 7th lot of antibiotics - 2 by IV a week ago so I know the pain of this but I'm only suffering from reflux/ heartburn since my gallbladder was removed. Pancreatitis is shockingly painful and scary I know!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.