Life after gallbladder surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed in November.  It took care of the pain and bloating that I was having but now I throw up almost every day.  And as soon as I eat it seems like it goes right thru me.  I feel horrible every day.  My quality of life has been terrible.  I work, come home, try to eat a bite and vomit and go to bed by 7:30.  This is getting old.  Is anyone else having this kind of issues?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It is a common proble, if you read other discussions in gallbladder. 

The key is to eat less fat, since the bile is not stored to digest it, and has to be instantly used up from liver. 

• Posted

Hi jill,

I had my gallbladder removed a year ago and its truthfully the worst thing I have done, the pain with the gallbladder was awful I had constant infections and side pain was awful but since havin it out I feel worse everything and I mean everything I eat im on the toilet for up to a hour with pains that I can only describe as on par with contraction pain I feel I cant go out anywhere unless I know exactly whrte the toilets are even then I am finding myself just making constant excuses as embarrasing and too much pain. I was refered back to my consultant who know thinks I have sphincter of oddi and have given me some medication to see if it helps called colevisium or cholostegal tAblets (spelt something like that) which I take 6 a day they arent doin anythin tho so I am goin in for a camera to see if anything else is goin on but its all started since gallbladder removal, have u tried any off these tablets?

• Posted

Yes, I know exactly what you mean about having to know where the bathrooms are! If I'm not hunting the restroom I'm looking for a bag to get sick in.  I am currently taking Zofran and they've done a fairly decent job but here lately they aren't helping much.  I am really tired of this and very upset that I can't even go out to eat or have a nice evening without getting sick.  

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  You might have bile acid malobsorption.  That is, you have too much bile in your system and it's affecting your stomach and intestines.  

There is a prescription medication called cholestyramine that can help.  Much like the medication mentioned earlier, but it is in a packet that you mix with water and/or juice and drink at bed time.  

I've taken it since 2009 and it is the only reason I function more or less normally.

• Posted

I Willie will ask my doctor about this medication.  Thank you very much.  This has been a rough 7 months.  Can't hardly do anything without getting sick.

• Posted

Yes. Please remember that we are all different in how we react to this. Most people have their GB out and go about their business without any problems or at least minor ones. Then there are those of us who have difficulties, and I am one of those.

Mine came out 22 months ago (May 27,2015). All was fine for 2 months and then the nausea started. I didn't vomit, but I wished I could have. It felt as if I had the flu, morning sickness or motion sickness. I really don't know how to describe it, but it was awful. I couln't eat and lost from 138 to 113. Eventually I got so I couldn't get out of the bed by myself. I have never been sicker in my life. By not eating, I made my self weaker and sicker. Finally in June of 2016 I went to the hospital with dehydration.

I won't go into any more detail except to say that today I am much better. It has taken a long time to get here, and I am not 100% but hope to be soon.

You will get better, and hopefully a lot quicker than I did.

While I was going through this, I decided that if I got better (plenty of times I doubted it) I would do what I could to let others know that they would feel better again.

You will feel good again!!!!

• Posted

yes! Nancy I know what you mean.  I feel like I almost have motion sickness.  I am so tired of this EVERY Single DAY! Zofran is getting to the point where it isn't working very well.

• Posted

Non of the nausea meds helped me. This forum was a big help, but I didn't discover it until about two months ago.

Be sure to eat, but eat the right things and stay hydrated. This will end, and you will get your life back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.