Life long mucus/sinus problem HELP

Posted , 4 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hi all, I have a seriously debilitating problem with my sinuses/nose/throat which is ruining my life - i'll try and make this short. Ever since I was young i've done this horrible snorting sound to dislodge mucus that is stuck at the top of my nose - kind of where the top of the nose meets the throat. Sometimes I can snort it out and spit, other times it's a lot eaiser to snort & swallow. It's gotten worse the older i've got (i'm 26 now) to the point where I can no longer go 5 minutes without snorting. The mucus is REALLY sticky and hard to dislodge, it effects my speech because I can feel it rattling around at the top of my nose/throat when talking and it really prevents me from articulating properly. Only when I can dislodge the mucus do I feel I can speak properly, but the mucus comes back within minutes. I work in communications and this is REALLY affecting my work life, I can't exactly start snorting and spluttering in front of colleagues cos its disgusting. Sometimes it's yellow greenish in colour, other times its clear. Standing upright I breathe 100% fine through my right nostril, however my left nostril is probably at around 40%. When I sleep though this can change depending on which side I lie, I don't know wether this is a deviated septum and wether this can be linked with my symptoms. ENT diagnosed me with post-nasal drip, I have NO allergies apart from hayfever (grass mix). apart from this ENT were completely useless, I have tried EVERY type of nasal spray, herbal remedy, dietary change, salt therapy you name it i've tried it. The only thing that consistently works is using sinus rinse, I will always snort out a big globule of mucus after rinsing my sinuses, but I cant do this all the time for obvious reasons. For a short while I thought this could be linked with silent reflux but this is not the case. Most doctors have been completely useless, my last ENT doctor stuck a camera up my nose and said all was normal - live with it. As I kid I had a lot of pain in my sinuses and they'd make strange clicking sounds, guess I thought it was normal so I didn't tell anyone. I have quite bad lungs and smoked a LOT when younger, I also had asthma when growing up (I know). As my sinus problems started before my smoking i'm not convinced they're related at all. I'm currently waiting on the results of a CT scan of my sinuses but not convinced anything will show up.

This condition is killing me and is really affecting my work and personal life. It's horrible for the people around me to constantly hear snorting and coughing and it's making my depression worse. If anyone has experienced a similar condition or can help in any way I would be very grateful. Thank you for reading.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you tried thinning it?

ENTs will say "normal" just to get rid of you because they don't want to spend the time. They make money from surgery.

If it's thick and off color you may have a fungal infection. These can last year's if not treated. An ENT can take a swab for this.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. I live in the UK so don't pay for healthcare, that being said i'm considering paying a private ENT clinic as i'm having no luck with the NHS.

I've been treated countless times with anti-biotics for lung/sinus infections, it varies day to day from clear to slightly off colour. I can't be on antibiotics my whole life as they've already done enough damage to my gut.

I've never experimented with mucus thinner so i'll try it out, any suggestions on best ones? I've had mixed feedback on success with surgery, not sure if it would make a difference or not.

• Posted

They are many who would advise against surgery.

Mucinex was suggested for me but everybody is different. Your doctor best to advise on this.

• Posted

Hi Craig 

I’m sooooooo glad someone else has this to! Well not glad as it’s blinking awful! But I thought I was the only one with the snorting/sniffing issues I to have it since I was very young, I’ve got tonsils out, adenoids out, relining of nose, sprays, all sorts! I’m due to see ENT in 2 weeks with other issues now bleeding etc. Absolutely sick of it! Xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up