Lifelong depression/anxiety sufferer that has been under control until now.

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am pretty sure I am in perimenapause and my anxiety and depression has started up again very intensely. Really struggling and I found this website looking for other people dealing with the same stuff. What are some things you are doing to help you.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Perimenopause can be a stressful time, and one of the conditions that are most common during perimenopause is anxiety

The best thing you can do is talk to your doctor about your perimenopause. Find out how to manage it and whether or not there are any considerations you need to make to improve your physical and mental health.

Join support groups and talk with other women whenever possible. Nearly all women have or will go through perimenopause at some point in their lives, and many will have insights or thoughts on how to improve the experience.

Don't forget to stay positive. Look for activities and events that keep you focused on how great your life is and how great your life will be, not simply the fears you have about the future.

Consider kava. Kava is an herbal supplement that research found appears to benefit anxiety in perimenopausal women. Kava is one of the few herbs that has actually been researched for anxiety, and the effects tend to be strong with minimal (if any) side effects.

There were fears that kava could lead to liver issues, but most new studies show that it is likely safe in the recommended doses. Just to be safe, of course, always talk to your doctor before starting any herbal or non-herbal medicine.

• Posted

Thanks Kellyshane. I see my primary care doctor tomorrow and will be sure to ask her about Kava.
  • Posted

I have to take one day at a time otherwise my mind just keeps going.  I make sure I do something for myself-- eat,drink healthy, exercise by walking or swimming, keep in contact with family/friends and even plan an outing with them.  Last week I say theatre with a friend and it was nice talking with her.  I have been taking Sprulina and I think that helps with my anxiety.
    • Posted

Kelly55079, I understand about your mind keeps going. I start to worry about things that haven’t even happened yet. I get so worked up about things that haven’t even happened. 
  • Posted

I find St. John’s wart helps and black cohosh..... seeing my natural path next week for same reason
  • Posted

Hi Kari,

I completely understand where you are coming from. The mental health challenges that come with perimenopause are incredibly difficult to deal with, and when they get really bad, they can be terrifying.

What helped me the most was really opening up to those who love me and telling them everything. People who love you will rally around you and help you through this difficult time.

I also try to force myself to do things that used to bring me joy: working in the garden, hiking, sitting in the sun. Sometimes, it helps a bit.

I have found the women on this forum to be a tremendous source of support. Keep posting and reaching out. Knowing that other women are going through the same difficulties somehow helps to bring a bit of solace.

I also remind myself that this is hormones, and it is a temporary situation.

I have had depressive episodes in the past, and I fully recovered without drugs. I was well for over a decade and then peri hit. The hormonal depression is ten times worse than my prior depressions!

I completely get where you are coming from.

Just keep reminding yourself that this will pass. In the meantime, just get through your days in the best way that you can.

Sending support your way xo

• Posted

That was great information... and it sure does help knowing your not alone
    • Posted

Bev27429 thank you for your words of support. It really helps to know I am not alone because a lot of times I feel totally alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.