Light at the end of the tunnel

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am almost 7 weeks post op and feeling much better.  I must tell all of you that your posts helped me through very difficult times with a lot of pain, depression, feeling of helplessness, etc.  It was wonderful to know that I was not alone.  I am continuing with PT and finding that the pain is much less and the flexibility is much better.  Still difficulty going down stairs and bending the knee as deeply as I would like.  It seems like the worst pain is at night and I find myself taking the oxycodone before sleep in order to have a good night's rest.  I would like to stop the pain medication but at night it is difficult to get relief from anything less.  Again, thank you all for your support through the posts

2 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Toni, glad you are doing so well! Its such a relief isnt it when the nightmare lessens especially as you say when you read about the same experiences of so many others in the same boat. This site has been such a comfort and support to me too! Whoever set it up deserves a big vote of thanks and a big big hug! Good luck with a trouble free recovery and best wishes!

Tess TKR Jan 2015

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Your body will tell you soon enough when you can do without meds.  Glad you are well on the mend though x
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Toni...don't be anxious to drop the pain meds. You aren't going to get addicted if you take them the way they are prescribed. Some people are on them many weeks or months. I have been on and off for years as I have had so many surgeries and radiation. The guide I have always used. If its just am inflammatory ache I use an anti inflammatory such as aleve or Advil ( careful with Advil as prolonged usage can cause liver damage. If you are using narcotic based pain drugs for aches then you need to try the antiinflammatory route. There really isn't a true test of time for need. Just be careful grabbing the opiate based pain killers for minor stuff

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Toni it's brilliant you're doing so well. My knee/recovery has been a little more complicated than most so I'm not trying to compare but I would say to give yourself another week before dropping the medication. The reason I am so cautious is that at 7 weeks I thought I no longer needed the slow release Oxycodene so I stopped and tried to cope on cocodamol. I was in agony after that (I have an intense physio program to follow). I had to go back on it, it took days for the pain to get under control, and I'm still on it at almost 12 weeks. My physio told me that I didn't realise how much I needed them because they were doing their job so well. I'm not concerned about becoming dependent yet as I'm in regular contact with my GP. I can try to reduce again in a few weeks if my exercise starts to work and I don't need further surgery to straighten.

Speak to your GP and/or PT to see what they recommend. You're probably much further along in recovery than I was/am so should be fine, I would just hate you to suffer the way I did x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for your note!  I have been trying to gradually reduce the need for the oxycodone and am now down to about every 24 - 48 hours.  Ice seems to help a lot as well as some of those ointments that are suppose to relieve pain.  Last night was better and I only took the Aleve anti-inflammatory.  I am 7 weeks out as of this Thursday.  As you say, this is such a difficult surgery and those first 4 weeks were the worst.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ah bless you Toni ... glad to hear you are recovering well. I'm so glad I found this forum as well!!! I wouldn't worry too much about pain relief ... take it when you need it and before long you will find that you need it less and less. I'm now 12 weeks post op and all of a sudden realised I wasn't taking pain killers!!! Every now and then I need to take something so usually take ibuprofen.

Keep up the good work and things will all fall into place. Xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks for your note.  This site has been so very helpful to me.  Took Aleve - Naproxin Sodium (sp?) yesterday and last night and it seemed to help.  I now seem to need the oxycodone only once in 24 - 48 hours.  i have been trying to gradually reduce the number of times a day that I was taking it.  Thanks so much.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up