Lightheadedness

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been on citalopram for 3 months as of tomorrow. I have spent at least 4yrs on and off dealing with lightheadedness. I have been told so many different things. Been to emergency rooms, doctors and even a cardiologist. My most recent doctor suggested that I suffered from anxiety, which my mom had said all along. I was put on 10mg and went through pure hell in the beginning. Then I felt great, I had almost given up hope that I would ever feel better and if it wasn't for my one year old, I almost felt like I would be better off "gone" everything was good until I got off work today, now I'm so lightheaded I don't want to be alone, so I'm at a family members house with my son. Is this normal? Anyone suffer the physical symptoms of anxiety? Do you have ups and downs? Should I be worried.

1 like, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

• Posted

Aww pleae listen there is lots of us out there in a tizz and sometimes we can break. I've broken down tonight infront of my mum and daughter. My other daugher (10) Is having chemo. U shouldn't be alone if u don't want to if anything Uve made the right desision is to have company and support, I've been on citaloram for 4-5 weeks and mornings are horrendous for me. Yet lots of people are saying hang in there!! It's so difficult these pills seem to have the worse side effects. Hope ur ok these sites do help xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I've been on 20mg for 3 months and still get dizzy if I stand up fast. It's very likely that it saved my life considering what I was planning so I just have to deal with the side effects. I learned the hard way that I cannot drink alcohol and I stand up slowly
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jazzy, Light headedness does sound descriptive of anxiety but I am not a doctor, if your doc thinks that is accurate then he/she is the best person! is the citalopram working? mine helped with my anxiety and depression just also got a lot of side effects. You should research Cognitive Behaviour Therapy  it may be funded in your area? Highly recommend as they provide tools on how to change your thinking which is what Anxiety plays on, look into that as well as exercise as that helps the brain and stress management hormone Cortisol ! I suffered fatique symptoms with Depression/Anxiety like not wanting to do anything feeling physically/mentally tired even after sleeping 5 hours a night which is the max i get and is manageable. Its normal to have up's and downs however is you find it hard to being alone try calling a helpline if really urgent I found strangers easier to talk too than my own wife! Get on to CBT as I mentioned, your child loves you smile If not do it for yourself do it for your child smile keep positive life is good! take care!    
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jazzy,

Yep I had that and couldn't go out on me own for 3 months. Now 7 months down the line can go out, on the very odd occassion I feel anxious, but I take a few deep breaths and let it pass. Ups and downs too! Have to admit though they are very rare now - but that just may be me and how Cita is working for me.

Good Luck,

David

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Jazzy, I have been on Cit for years.  You are normal!  Anxiety produces very real, very scary physical symptoms.  You are right to allow yourself to have bad days.  Celebrate the tiny steps forwards and be kind to yourself.  Don't feel guilty about taking help from friends and family - you would do the same for them X
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

And sharing my experiences with you has made me feel better! Hang in there X
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I just had to come in from a bunch of physical labor. I had to bend over to keep from falling over. I could tell it was coming on, so as long as I bent over for a few seconds, I was fine
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up