Limping and frustrated

Posted , 10 users are following.

Every time I get up from a sitting position I have to wait a while before I can move, otherwise I experience excruciating pain in my knee. I'm four months post op and I feel that I should be much better. My therapist and doctor make it seems like a tkr isn't a big deal but neither has had a tkr. I can't sleep and my knee still hurts. Any good advice for dealing with this?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

It's downwards pressure Phil, it will go with time.

My surgeon told me up to a year it's still healing.

I suppose to physics and dr's it's all in a day's work, they see so many patients.

• Posted

I'm told that with a knee its a slow process, manipulation and exercise are the only things that help pain and get it moving, are you icing and heating, do you see a physiotherapist

• Posted

I feel for you I'm almost 4 months and I feel worse than before I had my surgery. My PT tells me this and that I call my doctor so now I'm going to his office for PT and itsv86 miles away. I did this for one month until I rented the elite seat. I'm so not happy right now. I'm still using my pain pills. Laying on my couch crying to my husband.

• Posted

I'm around the same time as you and I understand.  The stiffness will likely be gone in time.  If I overdo and feel pain at night, I use Voltaran Gel.  Ask for a prescription.  Works great for knees.

• Posted

Dear Phil aka limping and frustrated, here is my 2 cents. I feel your pain. I'm 10 weeks post op on Monday and if I sit, lay down, or do anything over 15 to 20 minutes, I have pain standing or changing positions. As my ROM has improved along with my strength, I'm still very stiff. My PT worked on my knee last week to loosen it up and it is exactly where it hurts. Work on flexibility and lossening the muscles in addition to strength. I've always had strength over flexibility which contributes to the stiffness and pain. Good luck on your journey. Hope this helps, let me know.

Sue

• Posted

Phil, I feel your pain too. At 4 months, I was the same way. It does get better over time and the others are right. It will maybe last up to a year. Your body is slow to heal. Icing and elevating helped me a lot. I am 10 months out and I still have stiffness and pain but not as bad. I had trouble sleeping at 4 months because of the pain. I would get up and walk around and sleep when I could. Walking seems to help too. Sorry I don't have anything better for you. Hang in there and stay in touch.  

• Posted

The therapist and physician get paid...we don't. I know it is discouraging, and I understand you just want it over, it just hasn't been long enough for all the healing to finish. Perhaps a neoprene knee compression sleeve...it is specifically made to cradle to patella, knee cap. One should be available from the pharmacy. you will need to measure the circumference of your knee in order to determine the correct size.

It is best to elevate your knee above your heart while placing a frozen gel ice pack beneath the knee as well as on top of the knee for an hour while you read, telly, chat, knit or whatever.

Then extend your leg straight up and hold it up for 30 seconds. Now slip the sleeve on. Be sure to properly allow the sleeve to cradle your patella, the knee cap. Flex your knee a couple of times to ensure that your patella is able to properly glide without impingment.

In about another hour you should have much less discomfort and pain. You may sleep in the sleeve. You may walk in the sleeve.

You will be pleasantly surprised at how much easier walking and range of motion exercises will become because the swelling will come way down.

Hope this helps you out as much as it helped me.

• Posted

philiguud, You are describing my symtoms exactly, I am 3 1/2 months PO 2 knees TKR we are all in the same club unfortunatley, only exersize, ice, painkillers & time is the cure smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.