Linx issuses

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im in the US, I've had stomach problems my whole life but after having my gallbladder out in 2004 They got worse. I've tried just about everything. I had the linx procedure 2/1/16. I still have reflux, unable to eat hardly anything (except mechanically soft foods) without puking. Everything gets stuck in my throat. What doesn't get stuck makes my stomach spasm so bad and it's very painful. I have to use liquid pain meds. I just had a EGD and everything seemed to be ok? I want it out. I can't handle it anymore. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I also had thyroid cancer and had it removed so I was thinking this could be caused from that or that I have a enlarged thymus gland.. Who knows? Since thyroid cancer (removal and radiation) my throat hasn't been the same. I think my surgeon thinks I'm making this up? What should I do? I need answers

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Obviously, you've been down a diificult road.  Can you explain to me what your doctor told you when he explained how the LINX works?  What is supposed to keep it in place?  Have they confirmed that it is still in place?
    • Posted

I had a GET on Thursday and it's still in place. The reason they want me to keep it is 1: I have a hiatal hernia, 2: my stomach produces to much acid that is was burning holes in my esophagus, 3: nothing else had helped, 4: I have a rare blood disorder (clotting issue) and the LNF is a invasive and bloody procedure so it was a no go.

My doc said I won't have any issues really. I read about it and everything I read was positive.

• Posted

to much sad to heart about your symptoms----don,t know i removed my gall bladder in 2010  i have no difficultes in the food it didnot stuck but i burp alot and now i am on esmoprazole i have burps but not like before now in whole day i burp hardly 15 to 20 times which will be not to bad-----but have cramps in my stomach gurgling sounds and i know its cause only because of gas i have lot of gas--------i think in your case its because of your thyroid and they give a radation may be it cause some problems---and also linx cause little bit diffculte in swallowing food----but i search on internet nissan surgery is good then linx in linx there is a chance of infection-----any ways i suggest you to change your doctor and take different doctor opnion-------i know personally lot of people they have a problem of swallowing food every time it stuck  because of acid reflux-----doctor will give you a good advise ---------i heard that from one doctor that we didnot focus on patient  bcoz every time they show the problem to up dctors are making the money now these days they didnot focus on patient health just change your doctor if you are not satisfied
    • Posted

Thank you! Im trying to find another doctor in my area. Not many do linx yet. These issues Im having are causing severe problems in my daily life. From not eating Im so tired with little energy. I just feel like blah all the time which is not me at all
  • Posted

I think it is too soon to ask for the Linx removal.  There will be swelling and inflamation for quite a while, maybe a year.  I think you need to focus on getting enough nutrition so you can function.  Can you tolerate adding a high protein liquid drink?  When you eat you must chew thoroughly and make sure you wait until it goes all the way down.  I suggest you use a high protein drink to wash down every bite.  Its a little thicker and the esophagus can more easily move it down.  Likely, your esophageal contractions are not strong enough to push food alone past the Linx. 

All pain medication can cause stomach damage.  Every dose adds more sores and damage.  It can take years for the stomach to heal.  I have used marshmallow tea to help rebuild my stomach lining.  Microwave a tall glass of water, then add about 1/4 cup of marshmallow tea leaves, then let it steep for 5 minutes.  You can add honey and some milk if you want to.  Then take a drink of it every 15 minutes or so, all day.  Let me know what you think.

• Posted

Can you but marshmallow in a local grocery store? I'm willing to try anything at this point
  • Posted

Hi. I had the Linx implanted 4 weeks ago (I am in the UK). Same problems here, I haven't been able to at anything for 4 weeks, terrible spasms and food gets stuck, until it finally has to come back. I was told I would have been able to go back to a normal,diet pretty much straight away! I have already had two gastroscopies and ballon inflations. I have agreed with the surgeon that we'll wait another 4 weeks for the scar tissue to heal, then we'll make a decision. I also want it out. I have a hiatus hernia and reflux, but my quality of life was much better before the operation!
  • Posted

I have heard the same story about swallowing difficulties with LINX from a number of recipients. A research study has shown it is commonly reported by 66% of recipients though for most it will improve with time.

The problem is the food bolus must be sufficiently dense and propelled by a strong peristaltic wave for it to push the magnets apart.

As for the link with your thyroid cancer treatment, I don't see that should cause any problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.