Lipoma surgery 2 days ago and I’m left with a huge dent in my upper arm.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’m a dental assistant, 20 years, and this Lipoma has been growing for several years on my left upper arm in between bicep and tricep. Once it started to throb, cause a numbing sensations and get near 5cm, I elected to have it surgically removed. I was not aware or made aware that I’d be left with a huge void.  This info would have been pivotal in making a decision of plastic surgery or, at least, been given the heads up. All I knew was the scar would be vertical.....until I woke up and saw the rest of the story. My husband said the surgeon said I traded a lump for a dent but, hopefully, no more discomfort. I guess I’ll have to see but while I wait, I’ve bought compression sleeves to help with my healing in hopes that it will guide my displaced tissue back into place. Also, once the pain goes, I want to massage the area to help palpate the tissue into place. I’m not rich, even with insurance, I spent over $1,000 before surgery with only $300 left to satisfy my deductible.  I can’t afford plastic surgery on top of this. I went for years covering up the Lipoma lump and I was SO hopeful that when I woke up, I would see nothing but a wound. Not a horrible depression in my arm!!!

I see other Lipoma surgeries(pictures) and their lumps are as big or bigger and their “after” pics are perfect!

I’m just sad that I feel like I’m a victim. Surely, it’s not on me, the patient, to know all details of how things will look post surgery. My surgeon should have said something to me. Any feedback on how to help my situation would be appreciated. 

M. Moore

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Wear compression bandages and massage daily. Time, hand weights( after healing), and massaging can improve result. I have had four out and hand small indentations but got Better over time. Trade off was worth it as pain was bad.
    • Posted

Thank you. Pain was bad. Since I’m only 2 days post surgery, I’ll have to see on my pain. My void is so deep, I can feel skin directly over my bone. Too bad you can’t see the pics of it. Hope the winter cold and my fibromyalgia don’t cause this to hurt more. 🤞🙏

• Posted

Hello,

I had the same thing happen to me. I had a large lipoma surgically removed from my upper arm in May 2017. It's almost a year, and I have a dent. It looks like a shark took a bite out of my arm. When I had a consultation with my surgeon, she told me that she did not want to take too much, because it would leave a dent. I can't remember what my response was, but I think I said well then just take out what you can. I did not want it to come back, but I also did not want a dent. I'm contemplating going back to her soon, and ask her what she thinks of it now. I just want to hear her response, and see if she has what I said to her in the consultation notes. May I ask what you did about yours? How does yours look now?  I hope it's  better than mine. You can cover up scars, but not a dent. 

Thanks,

Cathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.