Living in isolation with no one to turn to

Posted , 10 users are following.

After spliting from my partner of 15yrs, losing my house, kids, dog, well basically everything. I became depressed, I went to see my local GP who sent me to see some therapeit, who told me I was just being anxtious. Then the sale of our house went through and I had to move to another area, since then I have only been out of the house to go to work and once socially. I have no friends or family who I can talk to. If I try to talk to family I just get told you will get over it and count your blessing there are people worse off than you. Better add that I have been on my own now for three years. I work on my own and have next to no contact with people during the day, Moving to a new area meant changing doctors surgery and I thought they maybe more helpful than the last, but I was wrong, they are a lot worse. I have phoned trying to get an appointment, but all I got was a telephone call from someone (that seemed to pretend to be) a doctor. I was given a prescription over the phone for one months worth of anti-depressants. Which I took as described on the packet. After the coarse finished I have had severe headaches and phoned the surgery again asking if this was normal, but missed the return call as working and can't have a mobile with me. Getting no luck with my GP surgery I have tried to change surgery's but have been told by all that I can't as I am out of their catchment area. I have spoken to the surgeys manager who said she would look into it and never heard anything back. I tried to speak to a few other organisations regarding this, and to be honest no one seems to give a toss, just seem to be trying to fight a losing battle. Have got to the point now of just wanting it to end as I don't want to carry on like this anymore. Trying to get help and having the door shut on you time and time again. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have spoken to the surgey manager, she is about as much use as a chocolate fire gaurd. I have spoke to her, left messages etc etc. Don't know what more I can do. I have tried to change surgery's but get told that they won't take me on as I live out of their catchment area. 

It's been about a year since I was given one months worth of anti depressants and have headaches everyday since, somedays worse than others.

Can't remember who I have spoke to regarding local support, nearly everyone I could find online I think

• Posted

I think if your relationship with the surgery isn't good then they are not going to be a good support for you. What about a walk in centre do you have one of those near to where you live, they are usually open til 10.00pm and also weekends so for someone that works long days they can be really good, they will also tell you about what doctors you could try.

if there is a mind or similar in your area try them and ask for support. In my area we have a few different choices and they vary in levels of support and also what they offer, I do hope you can get some support in your area.

take care

• Posted

Thanks for your help,

They shut the walk in centre about 18 months ago to save money

I feel like I have tried all avenues now, and will just have to put up with it. From what I have read depression and loneliness are very detrimental to your health so fingers crossed it will be over soon

• Posted

Hi Jason, if all the advice here fails I would go to the nearest A&E dept at your nearest hospital! Explain how you're feeling, suicidal! Don't go at the weekend though as it's always hectic then. Take a day off in the week. Tell them you're not getting the help you need from your GP's surgery and are now desperate for help. Your GP's need a wakeup call and a complaint procedure is in order in my opinion. All best wishes that you get the help you need.

• Posted

Hi Ellie, thanks for the advice, just to let you I am not suicidal. I have no desire to harm myself. But just wish living ( well it's more existing) like this would stop
  • Posted

Hi Jason, 

I'm really sorry to hear that things are bad for you, it sounds horrible rolleyes 

Have you tried booking an appointment to see a GP and talking to the dr about the surgery's bad practice? Usually the GP will actually take your comment on board and may have a word with the manager or be more of a help to you - alternatively, you could go in and speak to the manager herself directly, as the others have said, taking the firm but fair approach. Getting complaints through can be almost impossible sometimes so I wish you the best of luck!

Sometimes even if the surgery is bad there'll be at least one decent doctor in there who actually cares, it's just a matter of finding them!

• Posted

Hi how awful and I really feel for you.  Ring the doctors (you could try asking the receptionists for a sympathetic one) and make an appointment to see someone.  Don't let yourself be fobbed off with just a telephone call and insist on seeing a doctor.   Exaggerate if you have to but you have the right to see a doctor if you need to. 

It's terrible having to fight for everything and I think all of us have and are suffering that now,  especially with the state of the NHS and a Govt. which seems determined to destroy/privatise it.  Bev x

• Posted

Hi Jason, 

just wondered red if you have heard from the wellbeing service ? Can I ask what area you live in ? I can then perhaps point you in a direction of help if I know of any. I really do think that you need some good support.

i live in the Staffordshire area and I know of some really good support.

• Posted

Nothing yet, to be honest never heard anything the last time so not expecting anything this time either.

Sorry to sound so negative all the time, but after three years of trying to change and getting nowhere it's easier to accept this is how it's going to be. Sorry for wasting everybody's time

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.