Living with Blatter Prolapse,What job positon is best for my situation?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am very active and enjoy having a job, I have done many different things through my life. I am not a desk type of woman. I am 49 years old & have been dealing with pre-menopause for atleast a yr or two. My Doctor has said that my menopause is the cause of my prolapse..Since I have no extreme physical employment in a number of years now. I have been very concerened about what type of job I need to find, now that it has been life altering..Im living with Mild Prolapsed & do kegels on a daily basis. Im chubby now at 5'3 & have been unable to lose a pound in two years,even on a 1000 cal. diet a day ! Doc says the start of my menopause is the reason. Ive been searching endlessly for answers & help everywhere possible.

​Im desperate for answers..

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Tracey

You are managing your bladder prolapse and that is good. You are doing kegel exercises that are good too. However there are other things that you need to do, I am sorry I will shoot straight from the hip. You say you are chubby. A healthy pelvic floor on an normal weight supports 20lbs of weight - that's OK when the pelvic floor muscles are strong. However yours have become weaker as you age (as they do for us all from the age of 18) babies, lifestyle, etc etc. Your pelvic floor is not only weak, it is getting weaker as your oestrogen levels fall and this reduces the elasticity/collagen in your muscles. So this weak pelvic floor is holding more than the 20lb because you are carrying extra, really damaging weight - that you are fining so difficult to shift and probably beating yourself up about. This can make you more susceptible to prolapse. You need to lose the extra weight your weak pelvic floor is supporting; you are in danger of your bowel prolapsing too. Do you suffer with constipation? If so, get a squatty potty to take the strain off your pelvic floor. Supplement with Vitamin D3 - it will help boost the effects of your kegel exercises. Change your posture, sit upright, walk upright. Kegel exercise in an upright position to make the exercises more beneficial. Ask your GP for a referral to a get fitted with a pessary ring - this will help support your pelvic floor as you get stronger - you can insert and remove them yourself (some styles) so go for these.

BBC - bum at the back of the chair - every time you sit down. Posture will help you immensely.

I don't know what you mean about 'extreme physical employment' lifting, packing? All this has probably contributed to your weak pelvic floor. I know you will be feeling desperate, and feel that the prolapse is taking over your life. I hope you are able to accept and manage your prolapse and get your pelvic strong and change how you view this - and make it way to get YOU strong again. A change of career/occupation is a great experience and a new employer would benefit from your wisdom and experience. Don't be beaten by this, get out there. Ideally you don't need anything too strenuous because this will affect your pelvic floor, but you are active and you do enjoy having a job so don't let this hold you back.

Good luck.

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Stephanie.. yes I have tried for two years to lose weight .walking each day for 5 miles and on a 1000 cal diet..even that did not work .all the doctor had said after doing blood work ..that menopause is the reason.I've been hitting a wall getting nowhere .I seen two doctors. They had different thoughts .now i m in another state & get down to the facts of my weight issue.I have not always been chunky..I am a retired professional Tap dancer & know how to be in shape that's the crazy thing about this..and I am frustrated.. I do the posture thing and I am aware plus work & focus as a lifestyle
    • Posted

It is so frustrating I know, and doubly so as you used to be so active. The menopause has a lot to answer for, and I am afraid we can put on weight without even over eating. Keep active though, walk on your treadmill and keep positive. Its not that Doctors wont help you, sometimes there is nothing that they can do, we have to find the power within ourselves. I have no doubt that you will get there because you are already seeking altrnatives, this is the first step of many for you and I wish you well. Love your body, it is changing and we have to change to - I am sure you will get strong. S
  • Posted

Hi Tracey,  I got a bit overweight too and despite cutting out most starches - hardly ate any bread, potatoes, pasta or rice, but just loads of veg, some fruit, and protein - low fat, I wasn't losing weight so I started going down the exercise route and in the last couple of months or so have lost 10lbs.  When I first said to my husband (I'm 65) that I wanted an exercise bike he told me the only exercise I'd get on it was dusting it, but I've proved that to be untrue and we both use it a lot and then went on to get a treadmill and cross trainer (I can't use the feet bit of the cross trainer because of arthritis in knees though and am limited on the treadmill, but as they say, every little helps')  but it was initially the bike that made the difference.  At the end of the day it comes down to you have to use more calories than you're eating, and since I had nowhere left to cut down on food, then it had to be the exercise route.   I've got pretty severe prolapses (all three) and the bike doesn't strain anything and you can actually do the kegels while on it:-)  Hope this might be useful:-)
    • Posted

Chris ...I'm getting a treat mill in hopes it will help..cause i t snows and I need it. I cut the pasta breads and not a sweet eater so its crazy..I'm active and a retired pro Dancer of Tap all my life .I just turned (49.) This started about the same that i had a hip replacement done. (46)..I know that something has got to give its ridiculous..
    • Posted

Chris you have been helpful I am so happy that I have reached out for other help cause docs aren't doing me any good so far.
    • Posted

I hope it helps Tracey.  I found because of being more inactive because of arthritis in knees I put weight on the abdomen and realised I was getting weaker and weaker as I was putting more weight on, so something had to be done.  I think it affects metabolism and where muscles use calories, fat doesn't - it just piles up more (I'm not very good at explaining my thoughts on this!) but I THINK if you turn this around and start developing more muscle, then more calories can be used.  And as you feel stronger, you move more and reverse the downward spiral.  I do wish you lots of luck with it.  You'll get there:-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.