Living with GERD, gas, IBS, & eosinophilic gastritis

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a young adult and have been living with GERD, IBS (with constipation) and gas for pretty much my whole life. recently my GI doc had me undergo an upper endoscopy in which they placed a device in my esophagus to measure acid reflux. Not much came of that except for the discovery that I have eosinophilic gastritis (eosinophils in my esophagus and stomach) Treated with antibiotics and re-scoped 6 months later. other than some stomach lining irritation, everything else seemed fine. But I still feel crappy everyday! If I am not constipated I am having painful bowel movements, I am burping my way through the day, and having to take Nexium at high dosage for the reflux. I am dependent on my Nexium as the reflux is awful without it. My doctor has just about given up but I am desperate for answers and relief! Sorry for the long post, but if you can relate please tell me your experience. Thanks in advance

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

did your GI doc have an idea as to the cause of the eosinophilic gastritis?? i haven't really any advice other than are you sure youre not reacting to the meds? i read PPI can cause eosinophilic gastritis. i recently went OFF my PPI due to INCREASED stomach pain ( i didnt have pain when i first started the PPI or even for a long time after) but it seemed weird to be gettingn worse when i was already on meds so against my doctors wishes I stopped it ( doc wanted me to increase it!) and replaced it with a low dose h2 blocker and I feel better!!! Pain has almost gone. I think my stomach started to react and revolt against the unnatural suppression of acid. i had a bit if reflux at first but seems to have calmed down mostly. We'll see how it goes. Anyway hope you feel better and someone else has more ideas....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.