Living with prostatitis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was 40 and otherwise reasonably fit when I first noticed symptoms over 2 years ago, but like most of us ignored them thinking they would just go away. I eventually attended a clinic and had a full sexual health check which I was convinced would show positive for some form of infection, but all results were negative. Symptoms at that time where:

Deep redening of the penis and associated soreness particularly at the tip.

Testicle pain, which included enlarged testicles & swollen epididimus (constantly feeling as though I been kicked a short time before)

An infuriating tingling felt through the scrotum

Contracting and tightening of the scrotum

Pain at the very tip of the penis on ejactulation

Soreness when urinating

On two occasions developed headed spots on my scrotum

After 3 visits to the doctor and treatment for thrush I was given Doxycycline for two weeks. man what an improvement my symptoms started to subside. I completed the course but within days the symptoms started to worsen again. A further visit to the doctors and I was diagnosed with Epididimitis and given a further months course of doxycycline. Symptoms still hadn't cleared by the completion of that course.

I was then referred to a Urologist and I embarked on over a year of taking doxycycline and approximately 6 months of tamsulocine. I was given a flexible cystocopy that confirmed Chronic Protititis. Eventually I came off the Doxycycline and did not experience a deteriation. I then came off the temsulocine and within a week symptons have now worsened again although not to the initial level.

My urologists now says he has exhausted the suitable medication and has offered me a Prostatic Massage. In his experience he says it does help the majority of his patients, but have also agrivated the condition in a minority. I therefor have to make the choice. Do I continue with the discomfort managing with regular pain killers or take the chance with the massage.

After two years of this I think I've aged 10. Standard of life and relationships have suffered greatly and I really am very desperate to get some sustained relief from this condition at this point I feel that the massage is now my only route forward.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi mate,

Don't know y anybody didnt replied for so long.

If you log on this website do report your health and how u feeling know if Ur cured?

And if cured then how?Im also a prostate sufferer and keen to know.

• Posted

Describe your symptoms and any treatment, there may be someone who has been there and done that. A lot of BPH sufferers read these posts. There are roughly 30 million of us in the US and 80% of men will suffer from an enlarged prostate in their lifetime!! 
  • Posted

Prostate massage is the application of pressure onto the prostate as applied through the rectal wall by a finger or device inserted into the anus. The duration of its application and the pressure used has not been standardised. Prostate massage or "Prostate Milking" increases circulation and reduces suffering in many cases. The rationale for prostate massage revolves its theorised ability to release secretions that may have built up, loosening of any biofilms that may have accumulated, and increasing circulation with attendant better delivery of antibiotics.

Through the analysis of the expressed secretions during a rectal exam, a specific drug therapy may be advised. Unfortunately, each time a new medication is tried, improvement may result temporarily, but recurrences can often result as the infecting organism becomes used to the drug therapy.

However, vigorous prostatic massage may be very dangerous. It is painful and uncomfortable. Discuss the merits of prostate massage with your doctor. At the same time, given its low cost and relative safety, massage may be considered a low-risk treatment that may work in individual cases.

I wish you the best of health, and the best of medical care.

Regards,

Luis

• Posted

HiJJim,

I have had similar symptoms for the last 3years on and off, being prescribed constant antibiotics. Then having seen a consultant he told me to keep a diary of my diet as some symptoms were similar to IBS. Bingo, it seems as though most of my problems occurred after eating onions and/or garlic. It may be worth you trying to keep a diary of your diet. Hope it works as this is not a nice thing to go thro. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.