Lofepramine was so helpful to me, has turned my life around

Posted , 4 users are following.

If you have been prescribed this I would urge you to give it a try, it has completely saved me from the deepest & darkest depression and took effect very quickly.

I have been on numerous a/d's before, mostly SNRI's and SSRI's, never did a thing for my depression-no help at all.

I have been suffering depression on & off for the last 15 years, anyway this last black period has been the longest ever, 9 months in total. I went to my lovely doctor last Monday, sat there crying my eyes out for the whole consultation, which is standard. She asked how my meds were going, (Venlafaxine), told her they made no difference at all, apart from making my periods very heavy & painful & so didn't see the point in continuing. She referred me to Pychiatrist & suggested I maybe try a different type of A/D. I agreed & that was Lofepramine, within an hour or so it was almost like this calm came over my head/brain but not in a drunk, bad way. I am now on day 7 and things are going from strength to strength, I have been out every day (previously I could easily spend a week without leaving the house). Had a shower every day, met friends, been to the art gallery, cinema got in touch with family, having just ignored them all for the last 9 months...... It is like the old & real me has returned, can't express enough how this medication has helped me, oh & no side effects yet. Still early days, I am on 70mg, twice a day....although it has made such a huge difference, so quickly I plan to speak to the doctor tomorrow about slight reduction...possibly half a tablet in the morning & half in the afternoon.....It may interfere slightly with sleep. Although that could just be my new zest for life....after such a long time of not wanting to do anything, see anyone, go any where, to find the world is now your oyster again...well it is hard to sleep, for the thoughts of all the exciting things & plans for the future :D

from the new improved me

P.S good luck in finding what works for you & please get in touch if you have any questions.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your post about Lofepramine.

There are quite a few semi-negative posts out there about but reading your one gave me hope.

I have been suffering from depression for just over a year and it's been very bad for me and my family. I have been on prozac, sertraline (zoloft) and venlafaxine. None seem to have worked. On Wednesday my psychiatrist started me on lofepramine, 140 (70 in the morning and 70 in the night) with instructions after 2 weeks to go for one in the morning and 2 in the night.

It's early days but I feel ok, quite positive about this drug. I am also having psychology too, so maybe that's helping with the positivity also. I actually feel like exercising today and going for a run and its -3C so that is unlike me..any excuse normally.

I hope it helps around the time of my period, because at that point nothing does it for me and I feel suicidal. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again for your post. All the best with your recovery.

Claire

• Posted

Hi :ile you Clare, I had been on the same meds as you with varying success.  Had a really bad time coming off venlafaxine (took me 5 months!), Prozac made me very anxious and Sertraline is horrible stuff - diarrhoea, insomnia etc, and brain zaps and anxiety coming off them. Eventually was given Lofepramine which has made an enormous difference and I feel back to my 'old' self.  Yes, a few annoying side-effects - dry mouth, increased sweating and palpitationes - quite scary at first, but tolerable compared with the black nightmare of depression.

Been on it 2 months. Am optimistic... fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hi do you take tablet in morning or evening x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.