Loneliness

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is anybody else suffering from anxiety because they are lonely.  I am a retired lady who lives alone.  I get out quite a lot as it helps, but when alone at home I get very anxious as I am lonely.  I do occupy myself, so don't know why I get like this.  Does anybody relate to this?

0 likes, 8 replies

Report / Delete

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, in part! My marriage broke up two years ago and our house is up for sale, but we are still living under the same roof but in different areas of the house! I see my ex every day as do the kids which is good but also painful! I haven't been up to bed for months because i can't face being in the next room to him and listen to him snoring all night. I also hate getting into a double bed on my own every night! My eldest son just moved in with his girlfriend and my daughter spends alot of time with her boyfriend. Evenmy youngest has a better social life than me! The girls at work are always asking me out at the weekend but pubs and drinking is not my thing... So yes, i have come to the realisation that i am quite lonely at this point in my life... I am 46 and gone through a serious health scare on my own last year also...life is unpredictable that's for sure!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Tracie I have been alone since my divorce 30 years ago when I was 44.  Had a few disastrous relationships as depression always came between me and them.  Hope your health is better now.  You are going through a lot at the moment.

I am dreading the long winter nights.  I really try to keep occupied.  bI am still active for my age.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you Anne... My physical health is fine now, apart from all the nasties that anxiety causes! Its my mental health i need to keep a close eye on these days, as with all of us. I love winter, but i think i will have to make sure i don't hibernate till may this year and try and keep busy and meet up with people
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Anne, I am lonely and i know there are a lot of lonely people out there. My anxiety is worse at times because of this. I am not able to work and have mobility problems and don't drive so i find life difficult at times. I do have 2 daughters and 2 grand children i see quite often which helps. I do try to keep occupied and busy. Lonliness is not nice at the best of times i know. Is there any groups you can join, thelibrary have information. I have recently joined a local meet up group and have been to a couple of events which was good. I know this doesn't help living alone but it helps to have some interests with like minded people. I have lived alone now for about 12 years. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Elizabeth thank you so much for your reply.  I don't have a car any more and do miss it as visiting my son and his family now more difficult.  I have lived alone for 30 years, and I suppose it is getting worse.  For a lot of that time I had depression and was on medication.  I lost a job and house because of depression.

I do belong to a senior citizen group and do quite a few activities with them.  I have been getting anxious lately, so finding these a bit more of a challenge.  I go on bus and coach trips, so I am a lot luckier than you that bI am able to get out and about.  

It is just when I am at home that I get this horrid anxious feeling.  Even when I am on my way home from something I begin to get anxious.  I do occupy myself when at home.  I try to keep busy as much as I can.  Not housework though!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi again it's good to know we are not alone in this and we can talk and get support on here. Like today i am stuck inside as i am suffering nerve pain, i had two knee replacements on the same knee and i am only 58. This makes my depression and anxiety worse as i couldn't go out if i wanted to. I have taken strong meds and will try and sleep as i feel sick. I want to be right for tomorrow as i am taking my granddaughter out for lunch, suffer today so i can hopefully enjoy tomorrow. Keep smiling i still think myself lucky i wake up every day. Hop you have some good days too. Take care. I am here anytime you want to talk. Elizabeth
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Dear Elizabeth, I feel I have made a friend in you.  Thank you so much for answering my question.  Means a lot to know someone out there is interested.  Bless you.  I have been so down and anxious, and I know there are lots of people feeling the same, and that I am better off than a lot.

For instance, poor you having had two knee replacements and not being able to get around very well.  I am lucky in that I am very mobile.  I go for long walks, although not so much in the winter.  I did have an hours walk yesterday with a friend on heathland near our home.  Just to be out in the fresh air does help.  I don't mean to rub it in, sorry.  Even so, I am still anxious and getting more depressed.  

I don't know if we are able to exchange email addresseses, as I would dearly love to be your friend.  We could help each other.  

I do hope you get to take your granddaughter out, that would be lovely.  I have 4 grandchildren and they mean the world to me.  That is why I am very down at the moment.  I missed my youngest granddaughter's 5th birthday party as I got the date wrong.  My son must have told me the right date, but I got it all wrong, and am devastated.  I keep texting hoping I can see her.  No car now, so not easy.  I am really fetting over this.

I wake up every day feeling  anxious, and takes a long time to calm down.  I do go about my activities and push my feelings down and often I do, and then things are all right.  You sound so very positive and strong.  

Take care, love Anne 

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up