Lonely, low & struggling.

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Hey,

This is my first time posting, not quite sure what to expect.

I was diagnosed with Chiari in April after 12 months of headaches, balance issues and fatigue to name a few. I have seen a neurosurgeon who has decided I need surgery to be done later in the year.

The last couple of weeks, my mood has slipped and I'm struggling with the constant pain, exhaustion and symptoms. I feel really lonely, although I have a good support network, as no one really understands what I'm going through. I'm beginning to hate myself for not being able to do things and be the person I was.

Does anyone have any advice or experiences on how to deal with this?

Thanks

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm pleased you have support, but as you say unless you have this it's hard to understand what and how scary this can be. I had decompression surgery 20 mth ago and I suffered all what your going through for years, it was discovered by my spinal consultant by accident , so it's good your diagnosis has been found at least you know what's causing everything. Accepting it is hard but you have to be positive, some have much better quality of life after surgery. And some it just prevents things getting worse. I still have trouble with slight pressure head aches and dizziness but take med for that. I'm able to work and have good and bad days. The surgery isn't pleasant, you have probably read the posts, and all recovery are different. Not everyone posts good news on here, it's more for support and reassurance, and understanding what your going through. But your not alone and any time you want to talk about your condition, myself and others are here for support hun x
  • Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed last May after nearly 2 years of symptoms. My GP thought I had MS so I was actually pleased to have Chiari instead!

I finally had surgery on December the 10th last year. It's nowhere near as bad as some people say. For me the worst thing was getting infections in my wound but that doesn't happen to everyone! I was up 11 hours after surgery showering, washing my hair and walking up and down stairs (the physios were a tough lot!) I wasn't sick once and was up and about again really quickly. Everyone is different, but don't be scared.

Yes, it's tough feeling crappy with headaches - I now walk with a stick and have lots more symptoms than before my surgery. BUT I feel that it's important not to let Chiari define me at all. See your GP about your low mood, take advice and meds if necessary and prepare to fight it. Here if you need me!

Clare xxx

• Posted

I have to say I have people that love me and is there for me but I feel like more of a burden then anything I go through my ups and downs and then days like today where I rather end everything and cry and cry cause I'm also always thinking of how I use to be and I'll never be the same ...but then I have good days and I never Caan tell of the good out ways the bad but through the headaches ,weird babbling ,the falling over for no reason and the falling asleep where ever I try to just think of my husband and what it would do to him so try to think of something that makes u happy by the way I already had my decompression a over a year ago....
  • Posted

Hi Cakegeek I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I'm still waiting to be seen, I've 3mm chiari and suffer daily headaches and fatigue, balance problems, concentration and vision problems since a fall on ice three and a half years ago. It's been one constant battle to get a diagnosis, and an expensive trip to London to get an upright MRI coz the NHS scans did not show anything. The NHS are now referring me to non surgical spinal injuries and they will confer with neurosurgeons from there if needs be. It is a lonely illness because we still appear normal to uneducated individuals. Yet our social life is limited. No more noisy pubs or parties, no more lifting anything slightly heavy, no more brisk walks, plenty of rest, loss of drivers licence, loss of job, loss of home. But there are plenty of us and we understand what you are going through. There will always be someone on here to talk to.
    • Posted

I'm great full for this site I must say everything u just described happens to others not just me I lost my job my drivers license I'm no longer able to dance and hear loud music like I use to . the doctors made me feel like I make everything in my head and I know now I'm not alone thank u
    • Posted

Thank you Melanieheather we just need to support each other. That's all we can do for now. This illness is under publicised, our Doctors and Neurologists need educating. Take care and keep strong Xx
    • Posted

I totally agree with you Karen, I don't think there's enough support , and after care when you have surgery too. As family's haven't got the person they used to have so it's a strain on them too.
    • Posted

That's why I'm doing the walk for chiari sept. 17 I'm going Milwaukee Wisconsin I live in chicago but they don't have one here I'm doing it to raise the money so we can help to pay for more research to be done and to get it noticed that this is a real life changing disability
    • Posted

Yes I had a look at it Melanie, it's very informative and made me think about a few things. I have actually just been on to my old nurse from the hospital as I have been getting pressure at the sides of my temples and she's going to have a word with consultant when he comes back off hols. I have been discharged but she's great and have only rang her twice in 2yrs but knows who I am.
  • Posted

Thanks for your responses, it certainly helps to know there are people out there who understand. X
    • Posted

There are, but understand everyone on here is different , some suffer worse symptoms and some are better after surgery than others hun. You look after yourself plenty rest after surgery is a must.
    • Posted

Sorry Helen but can I ask how bad were you to warrant your operation as I understand you have to be pretty desperate. And in what way did the operation help you? Xx

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up