Long car journey advice for sciatica relief

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I experience pretty regular bouts of sciatica on all ends of the pain scale. I can usually manage it quite well with various pain relief, heat/ice and have a tens machine that is great. Unfortunately what seems to aggravate it the most is being in the car for anything more than an hour, I will then feel awful for weeks following which has a great effect on my daily life. I'll be going away this summer and having car journeys of 4-6 hours average! Does anybody have any advice for managing sciatic pain while on the road? (Even in normal chairs as well!) Any advice would be greatly appreciated

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Laura, I keep 2 cushions in my car all the time, I sit on one of them wedge coccyx cushions and put another normal quite full cushion behind me in the arch of my back and it makes a big difference. My husbands car is a lot worse for me as his seats go at a funny angle so my knees are higher than my hips when really your knees should be at a downward angle when sitting, I also always have a cushion behind me wherever I sit, it helps so much, I hope this helps
  • Posted

I've been on a 5 hour plane ride and only getting up once to stretch. The Trick- I used a tennis ball on the pain area in my buttocks and under my thigh. It was the pressure I needed on the problem nerve. And it's easy to reposition the tennis ball every few minutes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.