Long drive at 8 weeks

Posted , 4 users are following.

Friday I'm planning to make a 10 hour drive by myself. I had a cycetele and rectocele surgery 8 weeks ago. I feel pretty good. But I do get tired if I'm on my feet to much. Should I drive that much in one day?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Grace,

I felt great at 12 weeks , but struggled to get through a 5 hour shift at work sitting at the checkouts. Problem is your not relaxed, constant pressure on the pelvic floor, even when you think there is not. Had to have a break from sitting once an hour for at least 10/15 mins.

I'm not a driver but 8 hours is a long time to be sitting straight up. Always, even now takes me a day or two to recover from long shifts at work!

I'm sure some of the ladies who are drivers will be on soon and may be able to advise you better!

You are early days yet and recovery from from pelvic floor surgery in some cases can take up to 12 weeks and deep tissues can take many months; if I were you i would avoid lengthy journeys if at all possible, at least during early months.

I was doing really well right up until around 3 month mark, when I returned to work. My recovery rate slowed down from then as I was taking a day or two to recover after my shifts. At 7 months post op I sometimes feel like I have went back the way.

Looking back I wish I had taken 6 months off to ensure as much deep tissue healing as possible before returning to work. The problem is any down pressure at all on healing tissues does not help. No financial support for the extra 3 months and this was 2nd repair. Did not claim any sick money last time so already used up a chunk of savings 1st time round as had a year plus out, so didn't want to do that again.

Anyway 8 weeks is very early days, and you still need to rest most of the time with feet up, and only a couple of short walks per day.

If you can't avoid this journey take plenty breaks and maybe even split it over two days, or have another driver to give you a break.

Please look after yourself you don't want to undo surgeons good work and have to be repaired again

Take care,

Phyl x💖

• Posted

Thank you Phyl for taking the time to respond. I just went on a short shopping trip yesterday about 2 hour trip, and felt a little tired. Came home put feet up. I get that, were you can't relax, although you are sitting. I may need to break it up to two days.

Thank you,

Grace

• Posted

Hi Grace, I can only agree with Phyl.

Short journeys should be ok, but 10 hours is a lot of pressure on your pelvis.

Any chance you could get a plane/train/coach - where you could at least get up and move around if you got uncomfortable?

I'm at 7 weeks post op and there's still a lot going on internally as I found out at my 6 week post op appointment on Monday.

(my bladder repair stitches have 'melded' with my bowel repair stitches and formed a 'cobweb' - I'm back in hospital next week to have it sortedeek)

My GP...who has been great told me.."Try to imagine, that what is on the inside -was on the outside. If you could see what is going on in there, you would know how very carefully to take things."

Its more easy for someone who has a 'visible' recovery to make - e.g.a fractured leg - gauge what they can/can't do.

With us, its mainly guess work-  and you can often do damage without realising it until you feel the effects later.

You sound as if you're doing really well with your recovery so please look after yourself? x

• Posted

Thank you for replying Gnome,

That's great advise from Doctor. About insides being on outsides . That would certainly make us take better care of our selfs!

I do feel like I'm doing well, exempt my belly keeps swelling almost everyday. And I still have trouble emptying my bladder. Some days it's all good, and some days it isn't.

Very sorry for you, to be going threw another surgergy to short things out.

I haven't seen my family in 2 months. Glad I put this out. I think I will look at flying, and leave the dog with a friend. It sounds like it's still early for me to do the long drive.

Glad, there was this forum. I don't believe my recovery would had been as good. I diffidently have listen to a lot of advise on here. I've read this entire site. Diffidently wasn't told to much from doctors.

Thank you,

Grace

• Posted

Flying sounds like a great idea Grace.

I hope you have a lovely time with your family x

• Posted

I agree about resting I'm 3 mos post op bladder repair and I was only able to drive an hour. Such a long recovery thsnk God I'm retired, good luck sweetie

• Posted

I was about to say just fly, but wanted to read all the posts first!! Got beaten!! I don't agree with "resting most of the time and only a few short walks" at the 2mth stage! That's very extreme! I wouldn't imagine there are many people who could be doing that for that long! But driving 10hrs in even 2 days is plain crazy. I don't think a coach or train is any better either just because that means you can walk around. You can still do that if you drove as all you have to do is stop your car and take a walk around!!! Your only option is to fly!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.