Long one, but after advice please

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am 42 and was diagnosed with gallstones over 10 years ago. I have managed them with diet since then successfully until about 12m ago after the birth of my last baby. Since then I have gotten full blown attacks if I eat anything fatty but can keep them at bay with sensible diet, but the thing that is bothering me most is constant chest and back pain after most meals, approximately 2 hours after eating anything not totally low fat I get chest pains that radiate round to my back and under my shoulder blades, it's not as bad as an attack and no tenderness to press under rib cage it manageable with paracetamol and ibuprofen but lasts several hours and sometimes up to 24 hours when it starts

I have been putting up with it hoping it will get better but it's not it's going worse so I am going to have to go to the Dr. I have lost about 2 stone, not because I am not hungry but as I am scared to eat, I am still hungry and don't have nausea.

I have been Google and convinced myself I actually have something terrible now and left it to late and it's not my gallbladder. Only problems I can find is the pancreas that ties in with back and chest pain high up on both sides.

I do have lots of stomach gurgling and wind as well but no trouble with bowels.

So I am just seeing if anyone has had similar symptoms from the gallbladder and it wasn't anything else more sinister.

Thanks for any input to help put my anxiety at ease before I get the courage to go to Dr.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, Joanne,

Please don't wait to go to the doctor!  Gallstones, don't get better!  As time goes by they continue to put stress on your digestive system, including your liver and pancreas.  I understand that you have a lot of anxiety, but if you wait because you are frightened, your situation could become much worse!  

• Posted

Hi joanne, my doctor said to me that I was too young to live the rest of my life like this and they will get worse and will have to be removed sometime and im a fair bit older than you. Best to plan to have it done when you are ready rather than perhaps have to have emergency surgery later down the line.i agree with lyndas comment that it does effect the rest of your system. I had so many strange symptoms that I never associated with gallstones until they were gone. Hearing, vision problems sinus problems! Strange connections !!
  • Posted

Hi Joanne,

yes the pain you describe is all related to the gallbladder issue be it gallstones or gallbladder malfunction.

my daughter had hers removed due to only performing at 16% & she is 14 days post op but still in pain, however low fat and free from foods seem to be helping manage things better.

i would say do t leave things to get bad, if your dr can sort it out sooner than later for you.

all the very best.

• Posted

Hi Joanne if I was in your shoes I would go to the docs and get the ball rolling on the oporation to have the galbladder removed because as others have said here the longer you leave it the worse it can become it can cause liver pancreas and spleen damage if not taken care of.

I had my oporation to have mine out 10 days ago and it was done laparoscopically keyhole surgery.

The oporation is only 1 or 2 hours long and another hour for anesthesia to wair off but I had my oporation in the morning and was home by the evening with some good painkillers.

• Posted

Thanks everyone, it's a little reassuring to know that the chest and back pains that are not a dual blown attack could still be gallbladder related. I have managed to convince myself that I have something far worse. But I am going to get it all wrote down and get to the Dr and get the ball rolling for some more up to date tests, it's silly as I am living everyday in pain or worrying about the pain or what is wrong with me. I know 10 years ago I had one large stone and several small stones. So it's hopefully just that gettin worse and nothing else.

I have 5 children to look after and worry about those as well. But will try to fight my worry and go back to the Dr.

I have done so much Google that has never given me gallbladder as a cause of chest and back pain only.pancreatic cancer.

• Posted

Hi Joanne i had exactly the same as you. Chest pain also back pain. I put up with it for years but the attacks got closer and closer lasting about 8 hrs. I had my gallbladder out 8n December. No more attacks - brilliant result. Only problem at the moment is pain because i wasn't very careful with what i ate afterwards. Hope this helps. Jill

• Posted

Thanks Jill. Did you ever get full blown attacks as well. With the pain under the ribs unbearable type pain. I do get this if I eat very badly but these chest and back ones are not so painful but last a lot longer but there is no tenderness under the ribs when I press with this pain either, they do just disappear quickly like an attack like last night had chest and back pain from 7pm till at 1.30 I got up and took painkiller but even before they could kick in it just went and today up to now I am OK. But expecting it back after dinner this evening.

Glad you are feeling better now yours is out. I am going to get back to the Dr soon.

• Posted

Good for you, Joanne!  It's better to fight the trouble you know, than the trouble you fear! smile

Best of luck to you, and please let us know how you get on! xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.