Long Solo Drive Tomorrow

Posted , 4 users are following.

So my first anxiety attack occurred while I was driving alone on the highway back from college about three weeks ago. Tomorrow I have to drive back and I'm terrified. When I had the anxiety attack the first time I ended up calling 911 and it was just horrible. But of course, nothing was wrong with me. I think the thing that bothers me the most is being all alone in a traveling car by myself. Like IF something happens, which of course it never does, no one will be there to save me or get help. I just don't know how to get over something this silly; I'm excited to go back to college, but this really puts a damper on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I've had this problem myself just make sure you have the radio on for distraction and keep an eye out for a safe place to pull over if you feel an attack coming on! Not a great thing to be happening whilst driving however life goes on and you just got to get on with it good luck
    • Posted

So glad I'm not the only one then! It's a 2 and a half hour drive so I'm very nervous just thinking about it, but I guess I just have to remember that it'll pass like the rest. Thank you for the advice! 
  • Posted

You poor thing... Just try to relax, play your favorite tunes and enjoy the ride! Look forward to going back to school. My first attack was very similar, I was alone and frightened to death. My advice; if anxiety kicks in on that drive just pull over and breath deeply and slowly, it'll pass. Maybe see a doctor on your spare time and get some meds to help you relax and battle that demon we call "anxiety". Stay strong, I'll say a prayer for you. ^-^
    • Posted

I'm definitely making an appointment for a psychologist as soon as I get back! I just really don't want to have to depend on meds to feel at ease again, so I'm just going to try therapy first. Thank you so much for your kind words and reassurance, talking about this with people who actually understand how awful anxiety can be helps me incredibly. 
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, with anxiety the anticipation is often far worse than the actual thing your anxious about, so that's a positive thing to think about.

I find just accepting that I am going to be anxious on the drive also helps as it's probably unrealistic to think you won't be considering your worried about it, but saying that putting radio on, singing, taking nice deep breaths when feeling anxious all helps.

Maybe give yourself a challenge and reward that for every 10 miles you do without pulling over you will reward yourself with something, could be chocolate, cake, anything you like, could be whilst driving or when you get to college.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.