Long term citalopram use? And how to lose weight on SSRI?1

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all

Two separate questions really. I've been on citalopram since about 2009/10. They have totally changed my life. In that time I've come off them 4 times and gone back on them within a matter of months. I never manage to stay off them. Before I started them my whole life was filled with anxiety and depression to a point that I didn't really know life another way. Cit has given me the strength to actually be myself and learn to love my love.

Problem is I'm now UTTERLY terrified of coming off them. I'm so scared my gp will tell me I need to stop taking them - any experience with long term use? 

The other thing is I have gained so much weight since the last time I started taking them (2014). Granted I have had a baby in that time but the weight just piles on every time I take it and I drastically lose weight every time I stop taking it. I know about the link to weight gain but can anyone offer any advice on how to lose weight successfully while on citalopram?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Holly you should read Katecogs post on how she came off them.  I'm no expert but she did it with no side effects. Search Katecogs and try and find it.  She took almost a year and went down very very gradually with a pill cutter.  

Best Jo x

• Posted

I did gain weight on the Cit but gradually lost some of it but not all.  I didn't have a problem and lost a few pounds while I was still taking it.   I suggest like any other time you want to lose, just cut down a bit on what you eat. I'm not sure I'm one of those people who exercise while losing weight. I do one at a time and that has worked for me but I'm getting to be an old fart at 61 and don't worry as much about it anymore since all my health numbers blood pressure, sugar etc.are good but a young mum would want to look her best.  That's about all I can say, I'm new to a/d's. 

Jo x

• Posted

Hi Holly

Think of it like a diabetic taking insulin. You may need to take them for allot longer but discuss with your GP openly and honestly. SOunds like you may need to stay on them rather than coming off and going back on. I intend to be on them for at least 1 year solid after going back on them again. Been back on for 5 weeks now. I have no issues with weight gain. Infact I lose weight. Maybe look at your diet as weight gain is 80% what you put in and 20% exercise loss.

• Posted

Hello Holly,

I came off them in 2014 , I was only on 20 mg for 6 months ...I did the very slow 2.5mg reduction with a pillcutter too. Am posted a lot about that.

no side effects over the year it took me to reduce 

BUT....I realised after 6 weeks my body needed it.

Its took me a couple of years of regressing right back, being totally anxious and trying all sorts of other mindfulness and meditation herbal and CBT etc before I saw my Gp this January and she  put me straight back on it.

I should never have come off it and wasted pleasurable happy years 

so ask yourself do you need to come off it?

Talk frankly with your Gp...

Maybe reducing VERY slowly as Kate did also , to a lower dose may keep you on track anxiety wise and help with weight gain.?

I am no sylph but as a retired 64 try to get to the gym every day

I agree with stand up on this! 

Tricky when your a mum,but maybe sprint push the pram or similar?

• Posted

Hi Holly 

This has been my problem too! I think the only solution is sensible eating of fresh food and exercise.

Diets work but only for the short term. Not sure where you live but here in Australia it is possible to get on to a health care plan from your GP which reduces the cost of a dietician. 

You must research a good dietician in your area and then follow their advice. This is my next tactic. I have only lost 1kg in two weeks by just watching my food intake against my daily walking and so it is slow but at least it's something and I need too be persistent.

Good luck but stay on your meds as long as necessary because anxiety is far worse than weight gain it cripples your life!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.