Long term depression - considering no more medication/natural means of treatment...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there - I am 35 years old and I was medicated since 17 years old on sertraline, 200mg a day. About 6 months ago I made the switch to Citalopram as the sertraline had gradually stopped having an effect. Citalopram whilst keeping me (just about) functioning are not having any major impact. Doctor has suggested trying another medication. There is a lot more I could type about my circumstances - therapy being taken/taken in past, etc, but my main point for my post is below.

I am genuinely considering stopping taking any more medications (of course this will be done through help of my doctor and responsibly) - does anyone have experience of starting to treat depression through natural means and had results as such? Perhaps through herbal means, meditation, diet etc? What I mean really is non chemical means, non prescription drugs means.

Would love to hear from anyone who has had experience of doing this. Thank you in advance!

Jules

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

One thing I am doing now is taking a course on mindfulness. The chapter right now is about emotions and thought both positive and negative. It is very interesting and I think it might help me. I went off my meds this summer except for something to help me sleep. Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Deb thank you for your response! I am putting down 'mindfulness' in my book of things to try...currently going through the dizziness of cutting down medication and everything a bit blurry so will be good to have something to focus on and try, so thank you!

• Posted

Hi Jules, like you I've been on these meds for the last 17 years & like you would love to go down the road of going natural methods, been trying the last year it's been the hardest thing to do with the help of my doctor of course, I have 2 children so always trying to the best by them, it's been bit of a rollercoaster, sleep has been v little despite using sleeping tablets, it's been difficult for me as I just don't know if it's withdrawal symptoms or that I need something, I do hope you find a way without them, wishing you all the best & would love to hear of any successful stories & how they did it, best wishes x

• Posted

Hi Mar - I know exactly what you mean about not knowing is something is withdrawals or a need - my head is a bit mushy at present and I am doubting whether I should continue to taper off the tablets...however then I think, surely something with this much of an impact on my body should be taken out of my system completely! I wish you all the best also and will keep  you updated if anything makes a huge impact on me smile
    • Posted

Thank you so much Jules I get you totally it's bit of a vicious circle sometimes I feel, takes a strong person to do it well done you, best wishes xx

• Posted

Some supplements you could try are; St Johns Wort [can interact with some drugs], SAMe, 5HTP, Tyrosine, sublingual B12 lozenges, Omega 3 Fatty Acids. You should probably also take a high potency vitamin/mineral supplement just to make sure you're getting everything.  Good luck and hope this helps.   

• Posted

Thank you JesseS! Supplements noted and I shall attack Holland and Barrett accordingly...really appreciate your post so thank you again!
    • Posted

I'm curious if you had any gastrointestinal, respiratory, flu-like, or other physical symptoms in the days, weeks, or even months before or at the time you first "came down" with your depression 17 years ago, or still suffer with today even intermittently.

• Posted

Hi JesseS - I honestly cannot remember as it was so long ago (I wish I Had kept diaries!) but currently I don't have any of those issues. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.