Long term outlook

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I had been fine until about 18 months ago (I’m 52) apart from a brief spell in my late teens of alternating diarrhoea and constipation. Then more recently the pain became very distracting and highly localised in one place. But I had none of the other classic IBS symptoms, only the pain. I had many tests which ruled out everything else and was told it was possible to suffer from pain predominant IBS. I was put on antidepressants which did help my sleep, as do painkillers. But I am wondering whether this is a lifelong condition or whether it goes away (or goes into remission for phases longer than a couple of weeks)?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

i don't know allot about ibs,but i can tell you is that ibs can be a permanent   thing 

• Posted

IBS is a lifelong condition that can be constant or come and go   My IBS is in remission at the moment and has been for quite some time.   I have been fine for many months.  Stress is a major factor in my IBS. There are different types of IBS and pain predominant IBS is one of them.
  • Posted

Hi Emma, I agree with the other ladies that this is sadly a long term condition. It's manageable with the correct advice. Good luck getting everything sorted. Keep speaking on here, we'll help you out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.