Longing for sleep after TKR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Am now in week 7 after TKR in January and am desperate for a good night's sleep. I've not had much pain during the day, and stopped codeine after week 3, just using paracetamol when achy, so I realise I'm very lucky in that respect. However night time is really depressing. I go to bed at 10 every night but cant drop off to sleep until after 1 am, then I'm awake every 1.5 to 2 hours, having to get up and stretch my knee and rub ibuprofen gel on. Sometimes its another hour before I drop off again so I'm getting about 4 hours sleep before I get up in despair at 9 am. I saw my consultant 2 days ago and he says it's pretty normal to have disrupted sleep patterns, and he's given me another 2 weeks before I go back to work so I'm hoping things settle down before then. I've tried Nytol one a night, but it still doesn't help me to drop off, I've done deep breathing, listening to calming sounds, all the usual, to no effect. Before I had the op I could get off to sleep with no problem but then woke up every couple of hours with the pain from my knee, and I wonder if its just habit that's keeping me awake. Also, I'm not doing much during the day apart from my exercises, because the weather's not been good enough to get out for walking, so maybe I'm not tired enough? Has anyone else had these sleep problems and found a cure?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lynn

That's rubbish for you! You need your sleep as much as any pain relief. Have you asked your GP? A light sedative may help. I sleep well because I am on Ropinerole for restless legs (a side effect of anti-depressants - can't win!). Mind you I'm still tired all the time! I've not been doing much because of the weather either but I think I'm going to have to don the waterproofs and get out - sitting around makes me tired too!

It must be difficult knowing you will have to get back to work (I took early retirement because I couldn't cope with not feeling well all the time). I hope returning to work will be positive for you - don't rush it!

All the best,

GG

• Posted

Lynn41926, Based on my own experience and observing comments on this site for 2 years your lack of sleep at night-time would appear to be normal, i am currently about 9 months pre TKR and am only gradually getting back to a normal sleep pattern pre - operation. You will find that most comments on this forum indicates that ever-one operation outcome is different. i hope over the next two weeks everything settles down in relation to your knee. Indications on this forum that knee pain becomes much less around the 12 week mark. Hope you are able to start to go to work in the next two weeks ( but don't bank on it ), don't be afraid to let the doctor know if you are not up to starting work at this time period, remember the healing period for this type of operation according to my hospital is Approximately between 6 months and 12 months (some other hospitals quote between 6 months and 2 years.

• Posted

I had the same problem after my 5th TKR/TKA operation, a two-stage revision. I was administered GABAPENTIN 300 mg during three weeks, and it worked for me. My recommendation "GABA" 300 mg in the evening. Regards, Bangkok-Johnny

• Posted

Hi Lynn, I have the same problem. I went to my GP and he put me on Ambian. No problems sleeping since.

Good luck!

Melissa

• Posted

oh yes! It's very common with TKR apparently. I'm 7 weeks too. Don't stress about it as that makes it worse. If you can't drop off read, watch a film, play games. check out the web, anything in fact, although reading works best for me. Catch up,with sleep by napping when you can. I finally managed roughly 4 hours after taking an antihistamine, having a pillow lengthwise under my leg and wrapping the knee in clingfilm, sounds weird, but worked.

• Posted

Wrapping the knee in clingfilm? Why, what does it do.....I'll try anything if it works 😁😁

• Posted

I think it's to do with moist heat. It worked for me and helped with stiffness in the morning too. There is a video on YouTube. I tried to add the link, but has to be assessed by a moderator so may not be allowed.

• Posted

Thanks Lynda, I'll give it a go and let you know if it works! 👍

• Posted

Lynn ...I am at 15 weeks and still have the same problem. I wake every couple of hours with a stiff knee. Just recently the pain in the lower leg has stopped and i dont need to message it anymore. I did get Tylenol 3 from my doctor for night pain. Sometimes the extra strength Tylenol does the trick. Also I take two Benadryl and they make me sleepy. I dont go to bed until I am really tired. if i cant sleep i watch TV or read. I have watched lots of Netflix. If its a bad night i put my ear phones on and listen to show on my Ipad. I have also tried Voltarin cream at nights ...but not sure if it works. When im massaging my leg i have a lavender cream I use. Lavender is supposed to help you relax. Also i have a small pillow i use between my legs. it takes lots of positioning to see what works, Often I take the covers off the knee....that sometimes helps.

• Posted

Lynn,ive had two TKR and sleep has been an issue in both,first six weeks are really bad sleep wise not pain more discomfort in my case,over the counter sleep meds are a waste of money,get to your GP and get some prescription sleeping pills for a couple of weeks to help you through.Your sleep wont be far off now naturally anyway so a few weeks help will help you so much.

• Posted

I agree with Chico. My case TKR/TKA two- stage revision here in Bangkok, Thailand. The primary TKR in Stockholm, Sweden 2014. Bad luck. Implant infection. The revision completed Sep. 2018. Post operative night medication first GABAPENTIN 300 mg later, last operation ATIVAN (Lorazepam) 1 mg. Duration three weeks as I was bedridden with an VANCOMYCIN IV-line into my vein and a urinary catheter below the belt. How can you SLEEP? "Gabapentin, Ativan, or maybe Ambien or Xanax.

Rest i.e sleep is of very important after such a major bone surgery (carpentry) as TKR/TKA.

BTW. Now six months after the revision. I am driving, back to work testing cars as Motoring Editor.

Exercise; daily swimming & water walking in the pool. SLEEP? Natural - not like a baby, but like a 69 year old slightly limping "YOUNG AT HEART" Bangkok-Johnny!

• Posted

One week since my second tkr and can't believe how different this one is to my first last year. I go to bed about 9 sleep till 3.30am take meds and sleep till 8.30am. I take tramadol paracetamol and oral morphine. Pain minimal can lift my leg at least 10 inches off bed and hold for 10 seconds. My husband can't get over how much better I am this time around. Maybe lucky I don't know but leading up to op did 5 km on bike every day to build up quads seem to have done the trick. Maybe ask GP for similar meds it works for me and I'm a nicer person because of sleep. Good luck xxxx

• Posted

well done, i go for mine on the 2nd may, any advice please, do I have to excersise before the op, if so what type please, no one has told me anything. I am petrified, going in as a day op but having a general not spinal. thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.