Looking for help

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been very sad and lonely these last couple of months. I lost my mum last november but we werent that close and i hadnt seen her for years but it has affected me more than i thought it would. My step mum and dad split up a few years ago but i found out after i moved 200 miles away from my hometown with my step mum. I have always struggled with my confidence and do i am unable to open up to anyone, i havent kept in touch with any of my friends which is mainly due to my job as i work split shifts in a pub 6 days a week. I have set up this discussion as i dont know what to do anymore - i think i may have depression but im not sure and i am too scared to talk to anyone as i think they wont understand me or that they might judge me. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely happy and i have started to cry for no reason and always feel down. I struggle to fall asleep at night but then i can't get up in a morning. I keep getting headaches and when people ask if im ok i just smile and say yes, although my boss is finding it hard to work with me recently as i havent been speaking much and he said i am miserable and not my happy self. Everything is building up inside me and i dont know what to do anymore can anyone help?

1 like, 14 replies

Report / Delete

14 Replies

• Posted

Bethany, have you considered visiting your doctor if nothing else, just to talk things over?

Doctors are useful for a lot more things than dishing out pills, and as they swear an oath of confidentiality anything you say will be strictly confidential.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi bethanya you really have been through a lot regards your mum do you find yourself wishing things had been different between you and your mum ! the headaches and crying maybe a sign of depression but go to your doctor and get a firm diagosis of want you are suffering from that way the doctor can give you something that may help you get better ! as for your boss they want to try walking in the shoes of someone who suffers with mental illness ! I do wish you well please take care david !
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hey,

I know you're going through a hard time, and it's sad to hear, but you can talk to a lot of the people on this site about it as we've all been through our own degrees of suffering and depression. 

I'm sorry about your Mom, that must be a very sad thing to deal with sad

If you want to talk about it, feel free to message me. Sometimes just opening up with someone who can relate is a good first step to getting through everything. 

I hope you feel well soon smile 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thanks for the advice - as much as i think i need to go to the doctors for a diagnosis i am too scared and embarrased especially because i am shy and struggle with my confidence and dont like talking to peopke face to face i wouldn't know what to say and i dont want to waste their time.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Bethanya take what you wrote on your first post and give to the GP. You won't be wasting their time they understand that people can feel shy/nervous talking about emotional issues.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Bethanya! I felt EXACTLY the same way as you did. I was so scared to bring up the topic with my doctor, but honestly - it was the best thing I ever did in my life!

I actually did write on a piece of paper "I think I have depression" and slipped it over to him and his reaction was AMAZING! So kind and helpful! 

Make an appointment today. Your life will get better I promise!!

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

How did you get the courage to go to the doctors and what sort of things did they ask - if you don't mind me asking. I am scared of people finding out if i have got something wrong especially family members and how they would react!
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

In the end I was just so desperate that I knew nothing else could help. And I can promise you that now (compared to 10 yrs ago) doctors and nurses are even BETTER! They listen to you, they may ask you how your sleep is, they may ask you what has happened in the past few months that really upset you, they may ask you about your appetite and if you feel like going meeting friends or rather staying at home and withdrawing.... there are so many things 

Most importantly they will SUPPORT you in any way! Promise!

Once you have talked to your doc and maybe have been perscribed an antidepressant you may want to tell your close family, but you dont have to. Nobody needs to know at first. There is a good chance that you feel better with an antidepressant and possibly a few visits with a psychologist or social worker after 2-3 weeks.

There might not even a reason why you would need to tell anyone else but your medical team. 

Once you feel better and more comfortable you can see who may be worthy of knowing about your depression. 

And you know what my experience is? Once you open up to other people you find SOOOO many others that have similar problems!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Bethanya, I will say that working split shifts does contribute to depression. You might try to spend some time outdoors; preferably in the morning.  If this is difficult, I would suggest getting a full spectrum lamp; one with 10,000 Lux.  Sit with it for maybe 15 to 30 minutes; depending on the results you get. Sometimes, you can do this once a day or twice a day. There are portable ones that you can take to work with you, if you sit in a cube or an office space.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Bethany sorry hear the news regarding your mum, your feeling guilty over her because she was your mum I think everyone feels some sort of guilt when someone close to us dies even if there has been no contact for a long time, it shows that you are human and normal and have a heart. You should not feel embarrassed by the way you are feeling sometimes we all need a little help, please go to your doctor and explain to him

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you to all the replies it has helped a little bit to open up for once hopefully I will eventually find the confidence to see my gp and get the help I need
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up