Looking for reassurance- day 5 cit

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am an 18 year old uiversity student who was recently diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety disorder and depression. My psychologist referred me to a psychiatrist after about three appointments and the psychiatrist prescribed Citalopram 10mg for 7 days and 20 mg after. I have currently been on Cit for 5 days and at just ten mg I am sick to my stomach, having anxiety spells, and feeling jittery, having trouble sleeping. As a student the sleep I get is important and I was wondering how long in your experiences it has taken for the side effects to go away.

In terms of helping my anxiety and depression I have felt slightly more mellowed out in terms of emotions (no crying spells or negative thoughts) but other than that I do not feel like myself. If you could share your experiences I would greatly appreciate it.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Sorry about that!

Yes, things do get better, you must give it time. The sleep thing is so important I had to go to the doc and get something short term to help through the worst of the side effects. I'm at about 14 weeks and feel so much better!

Just stay with it and get some help sleeping and things will get better x

• Posted

I'm at day 12 today on only 5mg...and things do seem going good...I have challenged myself not to be scared and face the things that give me anxiety..as driving...and once I do it ..it goes away...my sleep is coming back..and just doing little by little and slower..enjoying the things I use to take for granted...I work full time and have 3 little ones to look after...so only you can tell yourself yo be positive...but these forums are so helpful...ppl on here understand you...we're all ok the same road to recovery.
  • Posted

Hey, thanks for your replies.

Angie, I have an appointment in two days and will be sure to talk to her then about being given a sleep aid. Thanks for the advice.

J

Jesika, thanks for sharing. I actually find myself anxious over very silly things, but I get physically ill when it comes to times in my life like exams and things that are important to a student such as myself. I challenge myself to get through the day but often find it hard to stay out and about when my comfort zone is just a short walk away from my classes and the library and all social settings. Do you have any suggestions on how to move past the urge to flee?

• Posted

I can only speak by personal experience...I have always been very independent and always on the go with my kids..so when this hit me like a ton of bricks. I soon became scared of things I enjoy doing like driving..going to the mall.Weird.so for the past two weeks I've asked my sister to drive me around.But now that I'm starting to see things more clear...I give myself therapy..I embrace my anxiety and don't let it get the best of me.Like today..I went alone with my kids to the mall..it was a challenge in itself..anxiety at full force..but once I was there it went away..I faced my fears..I won't allow it to take over my life. I tell myself nothings go8ng to happen...
  • Posted

Also..it's ok to let those around you know what your going through..because your afraid and think everyones out to get you. Baby steps...for you its hard to stay in classes..for me it became hard to go to work...but I need my job...so i have to be strong...we're all here for you** smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.