Looking for Sleeping Tips

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everyone I was just wandering if anyone has some stories or ideas to help a person get to sleep? I have been having trouble getting to sleep and wandering if someone knows of a medication, natural remedy, or just a solution that work for them. I am on paxil at the moment that helps me out a lot with General Anxiety Disorder, but the problem is that at night I don’t feel anxious; I feel wide awake and ready to go. Just wandering if anyone has any ideas or feels the same way.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ray, like you I have serious sleeping problems I go for days with no or very little sleep, the only thing I can suggest that sometimes helps me is hypnosis, theres a few really good ones on you tube, sorry thats all I can suggest but please give it a try you've nothing 2 loose and you never know it might just help smile xx
  • Posted

I'm better at night too Ray. It's in the day that I'm anxious. I'm on mirtazapine so it has a sedative effect so that helps me sleep. However I also benefit from guided meditation audios on YouTube. There are many and I usually pick one depending on my needs at the time. I listened to one this afternoon and it was positive affirmations, it was great and completely relaxed me. 

They also help me drift off to sleep at night too.xx

• Posted

Hi Gillian thank you so much for your reply I see you do a lot of replying in this website and give a lot of support and I must say thanks for your time we need more thought full people like yourself. I was just wandering how long have you been on mirtazapine for, and have you noticed any side effects? How long does the sedative feeling last for, I know a lot of these medication cause weight gain , but was my understanding that Mirtazapine was one of the worse ones? Have you noticed any weight gain on Mirtazapine? Have you tired paxil before that is what I am on works good for anxiety for me, just have a hard time getting to sleep at night, but I am going to try guided meditation audios on you tube.

Thanks so much for all your help!!!!

• Posted

Your very welcome Ray.

Ive been on Mirtazapine for 5 weeks,starting on 15mg and working my way up to 45mg. It had a more sedating effect at 15 and 30mg but I still don't have trouble getting to sleep on 45mg. Before the mirt,my anxiety was so bad I couldn't even Kay down to sleep.

I'm  not honestly sure if I had side effects as I stopped citalopram 1 day and started mirt the next,no tapering. So if I was feeling anything I wouldn't of know if it was withdrawal from cit or side effects from mirt. All I know is that they couldn't of been that horrific as I stuck it out and I'm still here lol

Lots of people have said that the mirt gave them the munchies or that they piled on weight without even changing there diets. That's not happened with me..I still don't have much of a appetite but that could still be due to anxiety.

The only thing I found was drowsiness(especially on the lower doses) that lasted well into the next day. However as each day passed,that time of drowsiness was less and less and on 45mg it only effects me for about half an hour after I wake. I also have night if restless leg which tends to start after about an hour of taking my tablet. I just make sure I leave it about a hour and half before I go to sleep as it's usually subsided by then.

I do hope you enjoy the audios. My fave is a positive affirmation one. Made me free wonderful for a tiny while but every little counts xx

• Posted

Hi Jillian

I know what you mean by have anxiety that was so bad and not being able to Kay down to sleep, paxil did help me to relax big time, It did not cure the problem but sure help and reduced anxiety. I never did try Citalopram but my sister is on it and like it very much, I tried Ciprolex a by product of Citalopram but did not work for me at all. Not sure where you’re from but I am from Canada but I guess there is a new drug out not yet in Canada but in the states and other places that has very little side effects called Vilazodone have you ever herd of it? Would like to try it when it gets approved in Canada. I really can’t wait to try positive affirmation on YouTube thanks for all your help again ray.

• Posted

Hi Ray, the more I try to sleep more more I can't sleep so I say if I'm still awake at x time I'll get up or actually try and stay awake all night by watching TV usually does it, sometimes I can't be bothered and take a natural sleep aid containing varlilium which I can take with my meds as I checked with my chemist.

• Posted

Hi Aspinan thanks so much for your reply not sure how you do it but how do you stay awake all night and function the next day wow that is crazy. I would have to get at least a couple hours sleep if you know what I mean. I looked up the natural sleep aid containing varlitium and could not find much information on it do could you give me the name of the product your taking would be very interested in trying it thanks very much ray.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.