Looking for some advicemin

Posted , 2 users are following.

This time I have had gallstones along with severe depression. I have got it into my head that I have cancer of the gallbladder and can't stop the anxiety. I have pains all over my abdomin it is drive me crazy. An ultra sound scan only confirmed gallstones, but I feel I am living with a time bomb. I have been tempted to ask for more test but the view of my GP and phycologist is that this just drives the depression and anxiety deeper. Has anyone any experience of a similar issue. I would really value any help. Ian

2 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Gallstones are excruciatingly painful. You have had an ultrasound which has confirmed them. If you had cancer it would look different on an ultrasound.
    • Posted

Thank you for that its given me some reasurance I am really grateful. Best wishes ian
  • Posted

I have suffered from depression for many years. Fifteen months ago I was in agony with pains in my abdomen and a scan revealed it to be seven large gallstones. I saw a consultant at my local hospital and I was given a date last March for gall bladder removal. At the same time because I changed my diet to low fat one I found it difficult to go to the loo.  I was convinced that I also had bowel cancer and so my gallbladder operation was postponed and I had a colonoscopy. This was normal and so my operation was booked for June. During this time I was in such a depressed and anxious state that I thought I was having a nervous breakdown. My consultant arranged for me to have some hypnotherapy to get me through the operation and this helped in the short term. When it came to the day of my operation I went to the hospital. at 7.30 but couldn't go through with it because I was convinced I was going to die. I saw my consultant again and a date was arranged for September.  I went on holiday for a week in August but had an awful time due to the worry and anxiety. The week before my operation I had a urine infection and was relieved because it meant I couldn't have it although I did turn up on the morning of my op and my consultant tried to persuade me to have it. My operation was booked again for last October. I was in a terrible state again and on the morning of my operation I didn't want to turn up at the hospital. I got there at 7.30 and was in tears . My consultant promised that I would be the first to have my op. I was taken down to the operating theatre at 8.45 and came round at 10.30. I was in a lot of pain for the first few days but had painkillers to ease it. Even during the first month after my operation I was convinced that it hadn't been a success and that something had gone wrong. After two months all the discomfort had gone and I am left wth no pain. Looking back over the last year I am so glad that I summoned up enough strength to go through with it. I am still suffering from depression but the physical pains have gone which is some relief.
    • Posted

June thank you so much for your helpful reply, just another point did you have discomfort on you right had side where the gallbladder is? I have such levels of anxiety I can't tell fact from imagination. I have been told that its the gallstones but I imaging the worst that I'm riddled with cancer. Hope.your managing the depression. Keep going your a very strong and kind person

Ian

• Posted

Hi I had pains on the right hand side but like you I also had pains on the left hand side, front and back. I went to casualty last June because I 'd convinced myself that I was having a heart attack. I had a heart scan and other tests and they found nothing wrong. Since I had my gallbladder removed I have had no pains and so in hindsight the pains I was experiencing were due to gallstones. At the time though nobody could convince me otherwise and like you It took over my life for a year! Hope this helps.
    • Posted

Hi June, thank you for that reply I to have pain on the left side now and again, that made me more scared as I think most folk only have them on the right side. Your reply has given me some reasurance, the trouble with depression reasurance doesn't last too long. But I'm going to make a real effort to get on with my life. Thanks for you kind help. Ian
  • Posted

Hi Ian

I forgot to ask if you are having your gallbladder removed. When I had my first attack my GP sent me to the hospital straight away and I was given my first operation date within 6 weeks. How would you feel about having the operation? When I saw the consultant the main things I focused on we're all the things that could go wrong! I was convinced I wouldn't wake up or that they would cut my bowel by mistake! All of these thoughts were totally irrational and none of them were true. At the time I wasn't able to challenge the thoughts successfully which I regret in hindsight. I hope you are able to move forward from this. June

• Posted

Hi June, thanks for your help, truth is I am so scared I can't think what to do, its as you say not rational.when I'm not depressed I can make clear decisions. Now my fear is that when they open me up I will be riddle with cancer. I have almost stopped functioning I go through the motions of being normal but in my head I'm a dead man. I just don't know what to do next. I have though of soending what savings I have anf getting the op do asap. Whats yoyr view? Thanks once again ian
  • Posted

Hi Ian, if you have seen a consultant they have to give you a date for the operation within a certain time. Where I live it was 6 weeks. If I had gone private I would have had the same surgeon that I had on the NHS so it wasn't worth it. I also had an understanding surgeon as he kept re booking the operation even after me not being able to go through with them. Also if you decide to have the operation explain your situation and ask him to put you first on the list. When I finally had mine done there was only an hour from arriving at the hospital to going down to the theatre. Good luck and I hope you make the right decision for you. June
    • Posted

Hi Jane, once again thank you. I have not had the op yet but I have spoken with the NHS surgeon and he has said that it could be done within the time frame of 18 weeks. Maybe sooner I was so anxious I said I would think about it that mean I won't have another appointment for 3 months. Not sure what to do. Got myself into a mess. Best wishes ian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.