Looking for someone who understands

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I'm 40 and have been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for about 10 years.  Over the summer I had been feeling good and convinced my doctor to let me wean off my lexapro.  I did ok for a few months and then about a month ago had a panic attack that sent me into a spiral.  I was either having a panic attack, worried about having a panic attack or down in the dumps about feeling so anxious all the time.  Last week I saw my doctor who convinced me to restart the lexapro.  I'm having a horrible time with side effects - panicky, jittery, weepy.  I haven't been to work in a week.  Please someone, tell me you've been through this and that it gets better and that it's worth it in the end!  None of my friends or family have been through this and I'm feeling very alone.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You are not alone, and this definitely sounds like anxiety. Did you have these side effects the first time around when you started the medication? Sometimes it takes a lot of playing around with different medication and dosages before you find the right fit for you, even if something worked for you for a certain amount of time. Hang in there, it WILL get better. Sending hugs. 
    • Posted

Thank you for your response!  I think I did feel worse before I felt better the last time too.  I’m just so down about it all.  I feel like the world is passing me by.  So glad to have found this group of people who have been there!
    • Posted

I am struggling thinking about taking my lexapro tonight knowing it is causing me such uncomfortable side effects...
    • Posted

I am right there with you! I struggle with health anxiety, so I am diagnosing myself with a new disease almost every day. I get angry with myself for wasting so much time worrying about things I can’t even control, as opposed to enjoying whatever time I have on this earth. We are all technically dying, and I wish I had a life to where if I was on my death bed, I’d be happy with what I did and everything I experienced. Unfortunately, the brain is a powerful thing and it’s a vicious cycle that you sometimes can’t change on your own/without help. No matter how many people tell me how stupid it is to worry about things that are gonna happen with or without me worrying, I still do it because that’s how my brain is wired. I’m waiting for my insurance to kick in next month so I can start to address my issues. Always remember you are so far from alone and that you are doing the right thing by going to the doctor. I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried counseling or anything like that, but it has been extremely helpful for me to talk to someone who isn’t gonna call me crazy (even though I am lol) and who can help get to the root of the anxiety, why it’s there, and tools other than medication that can help. 
    • Posted

Is there anyone you could hang out with after taking your Lexapro that would maybe help take your mind off the side effects? I would definitely tell your doctor if you’re still experiencing these things in another week or so. 
  • Posted

Robin

Your body will take time to get used to the medication, allow about five weeks and see how it goes.

Sometimes going back to the same drug can cause problems. In this case give yourself time become used to the drug once more

• Posted

I saw my doctor yesterday.  The side effects are lessening thankfully.  She wants me to up my disease to 10mg and I’m wondering if I should expect the side effects to increase again?  Any thoughts?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.