Looks like I need a revision

Posted , 8 users are following.

Here is an update on my knee. I write earlier that my knee was collapsing and painful when walking and sometimes standing. I am 10 months out. I went to another doctor, on request of my regular knee Doctor to get a second option. He confirmed that my knee is unstable. It is not very bad so He suggested surgery to take out the plastic middle and replace it with a thicker one so as to tighten the ligaments. But I was to be prepare , if the doctor didn't like the way it moved,he would do a complete knee revision. Now I know what is wrong I feel better but not looking forward to having to go through this pain And rehab all over again. I was doing so good and about 7 months in this happened. This will make my 6th surgery in 4 years ( I had three foot surgeries and one knee scope before my tkr). This has been a hard one to mentally cope with. I guess because I know what I'm in for. I'm praying this surgery will go smoothly and recovery will be easier. I can always hope , right? I am thankful for this blog. It helps to be able to vent.

0 likes, 16 replies

Report / Delete

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nancy

I feel like a sissy cause I complain about my simultaneous bilateral knee surgery and that it has been tough going back to waiting tables. My surgery was at the end of Jan. But I so don't understand all the revision that I read about on here how do doctors get away with doing substandard work that has to be redone. I wish you all the best.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am so sorry to here this Nancy. I too, had a revision 5mths to the day I had my left knew pkr! It was Sept 8 2015, then Feb 8 2016 and now almost 5 mths since my revision, I am feeling better. I can now go down the stairs properly (still hurts but am doing it). My problem was the lower tibal tray that needed to be replaced because my tendon was rubbing on it causing pain. I too, was SO upset (cried for a day!) knowing what pain I was going to have to go thru AGAIN! This surgery is just mentally changelling and the pain meds, the PT and the time it takes from your life is sometimes unbearable. You WILL do this, I did and you can TOO! I was going to go to another Doc, but mine has such a great rep with a good record, I felt comfortable in having him do the revision. Hang in there and keep your positive thoughts. Please keep in touch and prayers for you! xo

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Deb

What kind of issues / pain were you having that you knew something wasn't right and how far out in you recovery did it begin . This is the first I ever heard of a PKR revision . Scarry thought . I am 6 weeks PO PKR and think ( today anyway ) that I am doing pretty good . It has been a very long , difficult recovery but today I can say feeling pretty good . No pain meds for two days now . I just don't think I could mentally handle going through this again, so sry that you did . How are you doing now ?

Debbie xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Deb for your encouragement, my doctor is awesome one of the best. I have every confidence in him doing my revision. I'm glad to know that after five months you're going down the stairs normally. I can't even do that right now. So I'm hopeful for a quicker recovery.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Nancy

How awful for you , can't imagine . So at 7 months you just started having pain that seemed not normal .

When is the next surgery ?

Sending prayers to you for strength .

Debbie

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't see my knee doctor until 22 July so the surgery will be sometime after that. Thank you for your prayers. I always know when people are praying for me. There is nothing like the strength of the Lord

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi nancy. What an awful situation for you! I wish you a successful outcome. Thank you for sharing and being so courageous. X
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Nancy, that's so upsetting having to face all that trauma again. How did you know when there was something not right with your knee? Was it fine till then? It's a bit worrying, when you think you're well no the way to recovery. But 5 months after my total hip replacement it dislocated, and again 2 months further on. Pain?? I never knew I could scream!!!

So I'm sending you best wishes for your further surgery, xxx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Lucie, I know what you mean about the screaming thing. That's how I felt the first time I knee gave way while walking, with lots of screaming pain and I couldn't walk anymore without limping. Before that happened I could walk to her 3 miles and just have a sore knee but nothing like what happened then. But as I look back at my recovery I know now something was wrong all along

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

So sorry to hear that. I hope things go well and will pray. I have a question, I am 3 months po. My thigh stays sore and it still hurts getting up from sitting. My other knee is bad too. Climbing stairs is terrible and my knee stays sore also on outside and inside. Sometimes my leg aches.  Is this something u have experienced?  Hope your surgery goes good.  
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Tenn

This is Montana I'm the one with the simutainuous bilateral knee done at the end of Jan. I still have pain in my thighs ,ankles, and back all part of healing process. Some days good some days not so good. Just got to roll with flow.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you. I still get fever in TKR too. Just worried. My bend is 130  my leg is straight. Maybe because my other knee has gotten worse. Thank You
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm sor sorry Nancy.  I can't imagine all the brave peope going for a revision and having a double knee replacement.  

I hope this will improve the quality of life for you.  I wish you the very best.  I'll be on Team Nancy....

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up