Looks like I need a revision

Posted , 8 users are following.

Here is an update on my knee. I write earlier that my knee was collapsing and painful when walking and sometimes standing. I am 10 months out. I went to another doctor, on request of my regular knee Doctor to get a second option. He confirmed that my knee is unstable. It is not very bad so He suggested surgery to take out the plastic middle and replace it with a thicker one so as to tighten the ligaments. But I was to be prepare , if the doctor didn't like the way it moved,he would do a complete knee revision. Now I know what is wrong I feel better but not looking forward to having to go through this pain And rehab all over again. I was doing so good and about 7 months in this happened. This will make my 6th surgery in 4 years ( I had three foot surgeries and one knee scope before my tkr). This has been a hard one to mentally cope with. I guess because I know what I'm in for. I'm praying this surgery will go smoothly and recovery will be easier. I can always hope , right? I am thankful for this blog. It helps to be able to vent.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here I am again now 13 months after TKR and scheduled for revision on November 2. I went back to the revision doctor and he explained how he was going to take everything out and replace it with a much longer stem and thicker pad which will make the knee more stable. I found out my problem was not because of anything my TKR doctor did but it was because of my week ligaments due to past injuries. I wanted to wait until after summer activities and wait until I can get my head around having to go through all this again. After talking to the doctor I feel better about knowing exactly what he's going to do and being assured that my PT will not be as painful as last time. During PT last time I always had the feeling I was going through more pain than I should but I didn't know what kind of pain was normal then.

I have another problem called a Baker cyst on my good leg which appeared about three weeks ago. Very painful. The doctor told me it was there because something is going on with in that knee and because I was favoring my other leg. He also assured me that once I had the revision done the Baker cyst won't come back. It's not as bad as it was yet, but still getting painfull He put a Cortizone shot in it which took all the swelling down and the pain away until a few days ago. Now it's coming back. ( big bummer). I try to walk two and 3 miles every day and work out on my total gym. I'm beginning to wonder if all that walking is aggravating and bringing on the Baker cyst.I don't want to stop exercising. I feel it's important to be in as good a shape as I can before surgery. If it's not one thing it's another. I'm trying to look for alternative ways of shrinking the Baker cyst. I don't want to have another Cortizone shot. I would love some suggestions from anyone who is experienced this. Thanks Nancy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.