Lorazepam withdrawal 5 days no sleep

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys,

I stopped taking lorazepam 5 days ago from anxiety and are having really brutal insomnia. Has anyone gone through this? Really worried I have some form of fatal insomnia. Can anybody relate? What can I do I need sleep so badly?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Mike, 

I'm a month in from Trintellix (SSRI) withdrawl and I have interrupted sleep patterns or insomnia. Just do your best in resting your mind.  

• Posted

Hi Did you jump off the Ativan or taper it gradually as advised by the ashton manual?
    • Posted

Hey janet, tapered gradually. Got off at .25mg been off for the last 5 days. So all in the care of shrinks but no Ashton manual.
  • Posted

I’ve gone through this with alprazolam (very similar medication). The insomnia is normal, but some questions do come to mind: How long were you taking it? What was your dosage? Did you go cold turkey? 

I only ask, because as you may know, cold turkey with benzodiazepines is not advisable, and generally will cause a host of unpleasant symptoms.

If you tapered down as much as possible (some people who experience difficulty do incredibly controlled tapers in which they incrementally reduce their dosage by minute amounts) and are still experiencing this insomnia, then you may need to talk with your doctor, even if the solution is just to tough it out. My doctor let me take some Benadryl at night to offset the insomnia, which worked for me, but everyone is different. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.