LOS and low stomach Acid

Posted , 8 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

I have posted before on this forum regarding PPI and reflux.

Do we have anyone out there that has the qualification to correctly speak about the correlation between a weak LOS and low Stomach Acid.

I ask as currently I am starting to suffer from reflux again and doctors that are less informed have prescribed PPI which I know lowers stomach acid. My understanding is that low Acid prevents the LOS from closing fully as the signal is stopped /interrupted due to the incorrect pressure differential within the stomach and Oesophagus.

Information, thoughts please.

Thanks in advance

1 like, 15 replies

Report

15 Replies

  • Posted

    Actually it's called LES ( lower esophageal sphincter ) and not LOS.

    Report
  • Posted

    Hi Bali

    im no medical expert but I have read in numerous articles that low stomach acid can prevent the les from receiveing the signal to contract and close completely. I have also read that most alternative medicine practitioners believe that most reflux problems are caused by low stomach acid and not too much. They claim that as you age your body produces less acid not more so if reflux was caused excess stomach acid most sufferers would be young not middle age and elderly. It’s easy to determine if you are producing to little acid by purchasing betain hcl at a vitamin or health food store. Take one tablet with a meal, if after ten or fifteen minutes you get a burning sensation then your producing sufficient stomach acid. If however you do not experience a burning sensation then take another tablet every fifteen minutes or so until you do experience the burning sensation.  If you have to take multiple tablets in order to get the burning sensation then your body is not producing sufficent acid and taking the betaine hcl with meals should eliminate your reflux.

    Report
  • Posted

    this is the most retarded recommendation i have ever read about.

    take hcl every 15 min till you get the burning? 

    this is not just retarded and stupid, but dangerous, if you take hcl on a empty stomach or even with food, you have a chance developing gastritis, and believe me, you dont want that.

    where do got this information from? from mars?

    Report
    • Posted

      im sorry it was supposed to be a reply to frank60300 
      Report
    • Posted

      You funny but your also rude, you actually called every naturalpath and alternative medicine provider retarded and stupid. They recommend doing a home test to determine if you are producing too little or too much acid. You should refrain from talking about things you obviously know nothing about.

      I think your the one that’s a little lite in the brainpan. Just so you know you do the test ONCE and that will not give you gastritis. If you get a burning sensation after one pill your body is obviously producing sufficent acid and you don’t take the betaine hcl again. If however you need to take multiple pills then your body is not producing enough acid so taking the betaine will help cure the problem. I would recommend seeing a naturalpath to instruct one on the proper dose and how to take it.

      Report
  • Posted

    I have these conditions. My esophagus doesn't close at all and I have low stomach acid due to taking a PPI for 8 years. Recenly I started suffering from heartburn again and my GP told me that when there isn't enough stomach acid, what is there, spits up onto the esophagus continuously. Luckliy for me, I found a simple solution. Just eat small meals or a snack between meals every 2 hours. The stomach starts to empty 2 hours after eating and this is when the acid can attack the esophagus again. if you eat every 2 hours, this stops the acid getting back up onto the esophagus.

    Cheers

    Rose

    Report

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up