Losing hope feeling helpless and scared

Posted , 2 users are following.

For three weeks I've been on 50mg sertaline my anxiety was manageable besides a few anxious moments but today I've had full blown anxiety sweaty palms, heart racing, I'm dizzy, i have butterflies in my stomach, I feel doomed I was supposed to get my cycle today I'm on birth control I get my cycle every 28 days so Idk why I haven't gotten my period I have not been sexually active for a year so I know I'm not with child. I was starting to feel like the Meds were working but maybe I'm wrong I'm so scared

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I don't have an answer to this, but many in this forum do. I hear your distress, and wanted to assure you that help is on the way. This time of day is always the time the least people are here online. Hang in there, the posse is riding to your rescue. confused

• Posted

Set backs happen. They just do. With or without meds they happen. Excessive stress can alter your cycle. Call your doctor/gp and tell him whats going on. The meds are not a cure some control symptoms, some calm you down a lot and some alter the chemistry is a way to make you think differently. So do not rely in the meds as a magic fix, they arent. They havent invented that yet. They are there to help manage the whole thing whilst you attain proper therapy to learn the needed skills and tools to properly self calm.
    • Posted

No dont be discouraged, you are improving. You are. Its okay to have setbacks. Its normal. What are you doing aside from the meds..any therapy? Cbt? 
    • Posted

I did therapy for a year last year although it worked a little but the therapist was very sarcastic and kinda rude at times so that left a bad impression on me I know all therapists are not like that
    • Posted

Yes some need to seek another profession. There are some terrible ones. You need to get a new one and if by the second visit you dont feel that connection leave again. This is about you and for you. What you can do as well is seek out a cbt therapist. Check their rating too (some can be new at it or textbook savvy but stink) . You need something besides just the meds. It will help motivate you and strengthen you plus comes with learnig. Some wonderful new self calming tools. Gift it to yourself. This way you have back up to the meds and visa versa. 
  • Posted

Hi Jen,

I think Lisa has given you excellent advice and support. She is right to tell you not to rely on the meds but 50 mg sertaline is a very low dose. Having said that, it takes about six weeks for it to kick in fully, so give it some time. you can always go back to the doctor and discuss an incease in the dose.

In the meantime, please do find yourself another therapist. You shouldn't have to listen to one who is rude and sarcastic!!!      Keep us posted so that we can continue to support you.            love Tess

• Posted

Oh, and I forgot to say that disturbances in the menstrual cycle are extremely common in women who are taking any kind of anti-depressant medication, so I wouldn't worry about that - just mention it to your doctor next time you see her/him. I was once on some medication that stopped my periods completely for over a year! And within five days of stopping the medication, my period suddenly arrived - and carried on doing so for many years until the lovely menopause..........

• Posted

Even though I'm on birth control is that still normal that I haven't gotten my period

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.