losing weight with hypothroidism

Posted , 8 users are following.

i have been diagnosed with hypothroidism for 2 years now, i'm feeling way better with the medication, but SO hard to lose weight .... has anyone has success?

they say going gluten free will increase your metabolism rate and also help lose weight .....

i'm desperate to lose 15 kg to be healthier

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I have been hypothyroid for well over 20 years, I am now 66.  I have also been overweight most of my life.  More than one GP has told me that it is harder to lose weight if you are hypothyroid even controlled, but certainly not impossible.  I lost 2 stone about 6 years ago going to weight watchers. It took about a year but I got there in the end.  Unfortunately I have regained 1 stone, so am about to try again.  With regard to gluten, I am not sure but certainly I ate minimum bread whilst dieting.  You don't mention how old you are but you can do it just be patient and only expect about 1lb a week.  It is much better to do it slowly.  Good luck.
    • Posted

thanks for your positive reply smile i am 28.

i have realised it's going to have to come off slowly, i'm going to have to be patient which isn't easy!

• Posted

Hi I have had a underactive thyroid for over 20 years and I used to weigh 21 stone I now weigh 9 stone a loss of 11 stone. So it can be done. I take 274 mcg of levothyroxine a day. Good luck smile
    • Posted

okay thanks. i've actually just been to a nautropath and shes going to get me one stuff to make my metabolism work again etc etc and i'll be off my levothyroxine . i'm stoked!

have you heard of anyone else doing this? i mite start a discussion about it.

• Posted

Hi your the first person who seems to give hope regarding weight loss.  I was diagnosed 4  years ago with graves. Felt ok apart from palpating and sweating and sleep. Now have had Rai in April on 100 mg levothyoxine muscle cramps terrible but still excercising trying to be positive. Once my dosage and blood levels return to normal will I begin to feel normal and start losing weight again ? 
    • Posted

It took about 3 years for me to work out that in order to lose the weight I had to totally rethink My diet plan I ate about 1600 calories a day. I did a lot of walking as I was so overweight I felt I could never go to the gym. I think One I lost a stone it kicktarted my thyroid a little more. If you are not on the right dose you will never lose weight. I know i was waas on the right dose because after years of no menstrating I finally started a few years after being on the right dose. http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/deborah-s-half-the-woman-she-used-to-be-1.444106 this is my story its been over 10 years and ive had two more childen and kept the weight off you can do it you just have to re think everything you eat. Good luck.
    • Posted

Thanks for the feed back I am trying to stay positive as always just so tired at in pain but the drugs seem to be lowering my tsh so hopefully in a few more weeks. Still exercising so will keep you posted and well done to you 
    • Posted

It does take a while for the medication to kick in. Jjust dont give up. I never thought my life would be so different. But you can do it,Start walking as it really does help start with 5 minutes then increase in daily or every few days. Do what you can handle. By the time I had lost 5 stone I would bike to work and back everyday 7 miles lol who would think I could have done that. I want you to aslo know that we know our bodies better than anyone else when I moved to the USA the Doctors over here didnt like the amount of thyroxine I was taking they kept saying 200 mcg was enough, I went through 18 Doctors until I found one that would keep me on the 274mcg I had been taking for over 10 years. If you feel tired and still have pins and needles you need more thyroxine get your blood work done again, But remember it takes 6 weeks or more for the new dose to kick in. Good luck to you all.
  • Posted

Sorry but I havent. I would never not take my medication. It has helped me in so many ways. I feel alive after years of feeling like death. But good luck to you I hope it works.
    • Posted

yeah i've been on it for 2 years and i feel good too. but my metabolism isn't working properly like levothroyine doesn't make that work again, it only bypasses it. i find it so hard to lose weight etc. i've had a big think and talk about it and yeah i'm doing to start the detox next week for 3 weeks.will let you know how i get on!
    • Posted

Hi, I have been on Levothyroxine for 7 years now and I have also struggled with my weight sine being underactive. I have always been quite slim until then but have gradually gained wight until I had finally had enough last year 2013. I had gained four stone and could not stand it any longer so I cut out potatoes, rice, bread and pasta in July, I also joined the gym and by December I had reached my goal weight, I had lost 3 stone and 3lbs and have managed to maintain my weight. I also have joined myfitnesspal and I log in all of my food and exercise daily and this seems to help. I hope this helps Good Luck  
  • Posted

The only way I lost the weight was eating very healthly. I tried to eat a normal diet but I lost nothing. I ate no bread or potatoes just white meat lots of tuna and salad. It really wroked for me. I also had 1 day every couple of weeks that I ate one thing that I knew was bad for me lol It took 7 months to lose 11 stone. Yeah let me know how you get along.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Hyperthroidism in 2004 and after taking the medication ( Carbimazole ) for 2 years it relapsed and I had to go back on the medication with a very hard choice to make either surgery of radioiodine which I decided on the latter.

I then had to go on Levothyroxine back in 2007 and have slowly gained weight until I had gained 4 stone over six years which did not sit well with me at all as I have always been quite slim. I had tried all of the diets you can think of Weightwatchers, slimming World, Rosemary Conley which all worked for a little while but once you stop the weight just come back, so last year 2013 I decided to join the gym and I cut potatoes, rice bread and pasta out of my diet completely and by December 2013 I had reached my target weight and had lost 3 stone and 3lbs and have managed to keep it off. I have also joined myfitnesspal, I log in every day and log my food and exercise and I feel that this has helped me to keep on track. I am a 50 year old female. 

• Posted

Hi I am 49 and was diagnosed with an under active thyroid in 1998, I have been on 150mcg since it was diagnosed and again like all the other people have been overweight for most of my adult life.  I have done weight watchers lost five stone but managed to put four of it back on.  I have been going to slimming world since February 2013 and managed to loss 3stone 3lb before Xmas 2013.  I still have another three stone to lose to get down to the top end of my ideal weight for my height. So far in 2014 I haven't lost another pound even though I go to slimming world every week and I swim four mornings a week.  My body seems to have ground to a halt.  In my group at slimming world I have never meet so many people with an under active thyroid and one lady lost six stone in 49 weeks.  I must say I have found sw better than ww as there is no counting, minimal weighing and the food that u eat it everyday normal food.  Any diet works..you just have to be true to the diet and yourself about what passes the lips..controlling the weight is a life long job..good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.