Loss of taste for 2 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all, I tick quite a few boxes for silent reflux - gluggy throat, hoarse voice, nighttime cough, to name a few. But by far the worst is a constant horrible taste in my mouth. Sort of like soapy water. My saliva tastes like soapy water, and I'm completely unable to taste sugar, salt or sour. Food either has no taste, or a chemical like taste, so I'm pretty much not eating that much at all. The reflux is fairly new (a few weeks), and my doctor has started me on 40mg of Esomeprazole. No luck so far with that. Not being able to taste has sucked the joy out if life. Has anyone else had this taste experience? Cheers.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Ive not been able to taste food in 2 years. i also get the metallic taste in my mouth. It's true though that it does suck the joy out of life. Nothing tastes like it used to or is suppose to. With me it's not only that , but almost every time I eat I get that horrible lump sensation in my throat which is a common symptom and in my case, the worst symptom. Because of it I barely eat . The lump makes me nauseous and it lasts sometimes the entire day.

Do you ever experience the lump in your throat sensation? I take Pantrapazole 40 mg per day but it doesnt seem to help. Ive had reflux for 2 years.

• Posted

Hi Carol, I've had a small lump sensation on occasion, but not particularly regular or serious. I'm clearing my throat a lot and swallowing a lot, and seem to be producing a lot of saliva (soapy tasting). I feel bloated after even a small meal, but luckily don't suffer with any heartburn, or regurgitation. 

• Posted

Yes Lisa I don't experience heartburn either thankfully. However when reflux first started with me I did. I also had the constant clearing of my throat and plenty of coughing

fits. Strangely enough all that stopped at about the end of the first year and then the bad taste started along with the lump and many many other symptoms. At first the lump wasnt all that bad but now it's horrible and definitely has taken over my life.

• Posted

Lisa has the medication helped all you other symptoms? Also has anyone had problems with runny eyes and nose?
    • Posted

Not as yet unfortunately. Have experienced full feeling, lack of appetite and a bit of back pain the last 2 days, so back to the doctor.
  • Posted

Hi Lisa,

I've had fundloplication op 6 weeks ago this coming Wednesday, one of my annoying symptoms was the taste thing also smell, it was like a horrible musty burnt smell difficult to describe as there is no smell to compare it with. I got fed up of eating too, I just had pasta with tomato based sauce ( Aldi tomato and grilled pepper) with extra mature cheese, I could actually enjoy the taste funnily it didn't repeat on me as tomato is one of the foods we are ment to avoid.. I was taking 40mg of Esomeprazole along with 300mg of Ranitadine when needed also quite a lot of Gaviscon Double Action.

Since operation I've not had any ppi at all.

Good luck.

• Posted

When my reflux flares up, I can only taste a weird taste in my mouth too. Anything I  try to eat just dosent taste normal, just like a bizzare taste in my mouth and the back of  my throat. Your not alone, its extremely annoying

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.