Lots of muscle pain after PKR

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, All!  I am 6 days post PKR.  Just had my other knee done in September. I have been struggling with a muscle ache in my leg since right after surgery. I think maybe from the nerve block. Anyway, they finally found a medicine that relieved it in the hospital but said I wouldn't be able to continue it after I leave due to the blood thinners. I am taking 2 Percocet every 6 hours and about 3 hrs in it wears off. They told me to try 1 every 3 hrs but that was like not taking anything!  Now they are letting me take 1 Celebrex every 12 hrs. Has anyone else had this pain??  I am icing too!

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

I had a TKR on Nov.1st this year and the only pain I complained about while in the hospital was muscle pain in my thigh. It was worse than my knee discomfort. But I think if you could see how your leg is manipulated, twisted and pushed during surgery you wouldn't be surprised you're having muscle pain. Not only that, but the real pain only starts around day five post op, that's when the muscles are really hurting. I think that taking an anti-inflammatory that you can get over the counter such as Motrin, Aleve or Advil will help. Inflammation and swelling is what causes pain. So if you attack the pain from both angles then you should get relief.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I agree that due to the manipulation we should have a lot of muscle pain although with my first one, I didn't seem to have this much.  Did you have a nerve block with yours?  The doc has finally put me on an anti-inflammatory along with the pain med and that seems to be keeping the muscle pain relieved!  Thanks for your reply!  I totally agree that the real pain starts on day five!  Continued recovery wishes for you!  Merry Christmas!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi retha im not sure where you are from ,i do understand when your in pain after a tkr and a pkr is no different ,like you i was struggling with pain after the op and when i came home . it didnt improve ,hospital had given me a very short perscription .here in ireland we have our own gp (doctor) i went to see him ,and he thank god was fantastic !! he made sure i had the right meds with anti inflamatory and a slow release pain med it really did make the difference plus if the ammount i was taking didnt cut the pain he was able to get the ammount right for me . so i would say after a tkr or a pkr you need a very good physio and a very good doctor they need to be your best friend and if they are not find one that is ,as these ops are hard and the recovery is hard so hopefully you will get the help you need best wishes for christmas
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

I'm in the U.S.  I called my surgeons office and they have changed my meds so that now I have the anti-inflamatory as well as the pain medication and that seems to be helping. Thanks for your response and have a Merry Christmas!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

When I was discharged from the hospital, they gave me a prescription for three things to manage pain. Oxycodone, Valium, and Celebrex.  My doctor said that the reason for Valium was to relax muscles and the Celebres is a NSAD that would relieve inflammation. It's a good cocktail and worked for me for pain management. I hardly had any deep knee pain. My pain was all, and still is, superficial surgical incision pain from the nerves healing.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Are you allowed to take opiate derivatives?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up