Loud noisy TKRs

Posted , 8 users are following.

After one and a half years post bilateral TKR and having a problem with “patella clunking syndrome” which I posted in another discussion, I’m finding out that there are “quiet knees” and “noisy knees” with TKRs. Mine are very noisy and have the loudest click with every single step.  Even when I stand and move my knees back-and-forth while they are upright I have loud clicking. I’d love to hear from some of you and find out how many of you have noisy or quiet TKR knees.  What makes some artificial knees quiet or noisy? Is it the type of prosthetic that was used? Mine are custom Smith and Nephew.  Not sure if the custom made any difference! 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

My knees make the clicking sound. I don’t hear mine unless I’m in a really quiet room. 
  • Posted

I also have a noisy knee with every step i take it grinds!  Reminds me of "Cinderellas" step sister.

• Posted

Mine is mostly quiet. I have more sound coming from the other knee in the form of crepitus!

I have an Attune knee.

• Posted

Hi Jenny, I have also been given an Attune knee and was told these are very new . My surgeon had never fitted one before. Did your surgeon say the same to You?
    • Posted

I wasn't told how many of these particular ones he had fitted. I watched a you tube of the attune knee being fitted a few months post op and it was very interesting...the link is in my journal!

Not everyone's cup of tea I guess, but I found it fascinating!

Helped me to appreciate the massive healing process involved!

😀😁

Mine does feel very natural, much more than I expected.

I never imagined I would have such freedom of movement back again.

The other knee is the one which slightly cramps my new style, but it's not terribly painful, so I hope it serves me well for a good few years untreated!

• Posted

Ooops, yes he did say it was a newer type. But I reckon they are essentially pretty much one of a kind. The design looks good though...take a look on the website!
  • Posted

Mine make some sound when am straightening them while seated. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.