Low mood/motivation on Citalopram for 3 weeks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am on citalopram 20mg for depression. I started feeling much better at the 2 week mark - I had more energy & felt really hopeful.

I thought it was the antidepressants working. However, one week on and I feel low, irritable and lethargic again.

I just can't bear the uncertainty of it all: will they work? Are they already working? They really seemed to be working last week, I just don't get it!

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks in advance for any replies :-)

0 likes, 19 replies

Report / Delete

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Definitely! I am just ending my 3rd week on 20 mg (I did 4 weeks on 10 mg to start.) I was doing better and better and today I have been emotional and more anxious. I take Cit. mainly for anxiety

From reading many many post on here, I think this is all normal and takes some time to build up in the system. It seems like a lot of people see a real difference at about 6 weeks. I am hoping things level out here soon. When you don't feel well the waiting can seem endless. 

Hang in there! I don't think I have much choice at this point. At least I have seen some positives. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hiya, thank you so much for your reply. It's so good to have other people's opinions on this subject! The hardest part is feeling recovered, then having a downturn!

I do hope you feel better soon! I used to suffer from anxiety, which is completely debilitating. I am now not so anxious, but empty and depressed - can't recall the last time I felt joy at something.

Good luck!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

This is normal.  Recovery comes in waves.  You will start to feel well for a while then find yourself back at the beginning.  This will happen time and time again - it means the meds are working.  It's frustrating, but it seems it's how the meds work.  It will all level out eventually which can be months.  Just go with it and be prepared for a long wait - patience and perseverance. 

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

This is helpful for me to know as I increased 20-30 two wks ago. Had Awful side effects for first week then felt good for couple days. Was excited to feel better only for it to come back again! We r moving house next wk and my RSI has come back plus I keep waking 4.30-5am so not getting enough sleep. I think all his is contributing to the anxiety coming back.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi clairepop

Yes every dose increase will bring on the side effects again, which do wear off over time.  And yes, recovery comes in waves ....... a few hours, days or weeks feeling good followed low times again.  Little things can make you feel low again - tiredness, stress ..... and I'd expect moving house could have brought it back.  That good feeling will come back.

Same for your RSI ..... overuse ..... which probably goes for your low mood too - overuse of your stress hormones I expect.

Moving is one of the most stressful things to do.  Once settled though things will begin to calm again.

Enjoy the new house - exciting times!! 😊🏡

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I have definately noticed that when something stressful happens, I have a dip. Before, it would have totally derailed me. However, now if something bad happens, I try to stay calm and accept however I feel as 'normal'. I really found, on the 8hr journey to Ireland, this was incredibly helpful for managing those stressful moments. I guess it is about 'working with' the antidepressants.

Just wish doctors explained this to patients!

Charlotte x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes the docs are very vague. When I increased from 20-30 my doc just said "2 weeks". Of course it's been over thy and I've had a couple good days but now the tiredness and nausea is back. Also weirdly i feel hungry but as soon as go to eat I can't eat much. And so goes.
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Katecogs, thanks for your reply.

It is so reassuring to hear that my experience is normal! Antidepressants are such a mystery - I hate not knowing exactly what's going on in my head! But still, it is such a relief to know ups & downs are the norm!

Charlotte x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Not many doctors seem to tell their patients that this is what happens, and it gets confusing for them.  The meds are weird how they work, but what you're experiencing seems to happen with so many people.  It can feel like a bit of a roller coaster at times 🙄

Just keep going.  It can be a long haul, but you'll get there in the end.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I can't tell you what a relief it to hear that my experience is normal! I actually felt a lot better last night and this morning, just knowing that the tabs ARE working, but progress might not be a straight line upwards. It takes the pressure off a bit. Thank you so much again.

I've never been told this by a doctor before, perhaps they're not aware?

Charlotte x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Glad to hear you feel a bit more relieved.  Understanding more about it helps so much.  Yes the meds are working and it'll seem like 2 steps forward and 3 steps backwards all the time ... but the general trend will be up.

Dont know if many doctors are aware of this or how the meds make patients feel.  I think they'd have a completely different view if they took them themselves.

Good luck, and keep persevering xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Omg I'm so happy I'm not the only one! Raised to 40mg now and afyer a month it's not helping Luke it was. I'm glad to hear it comes in waves. Does drinking affect it at all? I only drink on the weekend.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi

I've never abstained from having the odd glass of something in all the years I've taken these meds.  Of course do be careful though, especially in the early months.  I'm not sure if the alcohol affects the meds - probably the with all medicines.  If you want to try alcohol then maybe try a little and see how how feel.  Some people have reported they don't feel too good after drinking whilst on these meds.

K xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi katecogs

How r u ? Well I had a good day Monday and Tuesday but not so good today it's so weird how these drugs work still getting negative thoughts but just keep telling myself it's the anxiety these thoughts keep making me think people are looking at me funny and that makes me think I must look funny is this normal ?😃

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Don

Hey that's great - a good day eh!  Yes one day could be good and the next low.  There'll be more good days.  How were the negative thoughts when you had that good day?

Yes it's normal to think as you are.  Anxiety makes you over think things.  The mind is working overtime and you can imagine all sorts.

K 😊

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Isn't it reassuring to know the meds work in waves? I felt I was going mad before I learnt that!

Personally with alcohol, I stay away. Everyone is different, but I find it makes me very depressed the next day. But everyone reacts differently!

Charlotte x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks! I feel much better now and I thinks it's because of drinking on the weekends. This is the first weekend I haven't drank in a long time. I feel good and it's not worth it to mess this up for beer. I will still drink sometimes but decided every weekend isn't for me.
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up