Low mood or depressed

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm not sure whether I have a low mood or whether it is depression, I spoke to my gp and wrote down how I was feeling but she didn't read it and said I could try anti depressants which I didn't really want to so she said they won't work if I don't believe they will. I lost both my parents suddenly in the past few. months so I know I am still grieving, I just feel so sad and unmotivated all the time, im ok at work as im kept busy but at home my mind goes into overdrive about past events . I'm not sure what to do as I feel like im mithering my gp .

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Firstly I offer my condolences on hearing about the loss of both your parents. It has only been a few months and that must still feel so emotionally difficult for you.

It is no wonder your mood is so low. Lack of sleep, stress and especially what you are experiencing right know will all contribute to low mood.

Low mood over a period of time is a symptom of depression, they coincide alongside one another. What your doctor told you about antidepressants not working if you think a certain way is total rubbish.

Antidepressants work on chemical imbalance in the brain. Thinking something won't work is a psychological response. So quite different from one another. It was very unprofessional of your doctor to tell you that.

You should see another doctor at your surgery/practice for a second opinion. You dont have to mention the other doctor. Just write down how you are feeling and what you are going through. Just give the doctor your letter and ask to please read it. Don't say no more, sit and wait for the doctor to finish.

Then ask would he/she be willing to prescribed you an antidepressant, short term, to help you through your difficult time. I am sure they will assist you.

You are doing the right thing Julie. You are working through the day to keep your mind busy. Try and slowly introduced something to do in the evenings. A hobby maybe, something positive to give you a sense of achievement.

Hope everything works out for you. God bless.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Rose,

I am sorry are having the worst year. I lost my dad in January and he was my last family member. I have been told grieving can last over a year and I will tell you I am still having a really hard time now almost in November.

Frankly, after  losing both of your parents you may even have some PTSD. I lost 5 family members when I was 17 and I went nuts and believe I did have a PTSD because I was constantly worried about who would die next....

I am  glad that you have a busy job, otherwise it would be even more unbearable.

I know exactly how you feel. I dont understand what is going on with your Gp, but you need to find one that can read what you are writing and HELP you.

Also, I have started a ton of exercise high cardio, I run an hour and a half a day and it does help. Unfortunately, the greif and depression is real and brought on by brutal circumstances so you have to fight it.  Go through the grief but get the right meds, start exercise, pray..

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am so sorry Rose for heading my message Julie. I am so silly some times. I read a post just before yours and the poster is named Julie and it stuck in my mind.😐.

So sorry again sweetheart.😊

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You need permission to grieve and the best way to do that is talk to over family members about the loss and remember all the good times you may have had throughout thier lives

It is a fact that to grieve a death can take about two years to make some headway, you need to move on and understand the causes of these two loses. and the time leading up to your loss.

Ask yourself would your Parents want you to feel the way you do, of course family losses are really hard and no-one knows how bad you feel

There is nothing wrong taking medications over the short term to numb yourself of your loss. Your life will correct itself and you will be stronger mentally from then

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ah you must be a northener to use a word like 'mithering'  I am too.

I wonder if you need bereavement counselling rather than ad's?   My mother died just over 3 years ago and I found myself brooding too much on past events.  I also lost interest in 2 life long loves - reading and listening to music.  I didn't put this down to losing her at first and it was only on looking back I connected the two.

For me it was the realisation I had lost the last person who loved me unconditionally and that I was now an orphan (ridiculous at my age)  x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

it sounds to me like you are grieving ,this can make you have the same affect as depression as it is in a way,it can also take a long time for this to go away,think you need to talk to some1 professional
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

many thanks for the replies, its humbling to know people will try to help even when I feel so alone right now. I think my reaction is grief to be honest and when speaking with my gp I was probably the last patient for her in a long day....the NHS is struggling and 10 mins is not enough time for long discussions. I will go back if things dont improve and look at options of counselling etc.

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It sounds like you need a new doctor who isn't indifferent to your feelings. You may be suffering from clinical depression. It is natural that you would grieving after losing both of your parents so suddenly, but you should talk to a health care professional to assess whether all of your symptoms are a natural grieving process. I can understand you wouldn't want to take antidepressants if you really didn't need them. Have you suffered from depression in the past and taken meds for it? This site is a great place to talk about your feelings with people who understand and won't judge. Let us know how you are doing

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

It sounds like you need a new doctor who isn't indifferent to your feelings. You may be suffering from clinical depression. It is natural that you would grieving after losing both of your parents so suddenly, but you should talk to a health care professional to assess whether all of your symptoms are a natural grieving process. I can understand you wouldn't want to take antidepressants if you really didn't need them. Have you suffered from depression in the past and taken meds for it? This site is a great place to talk about your feelings with people who understand and won't judge. Let us know how you are doing.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi, no ive never needed to take anti depressants before, my mother was prescribed them for many many years and I never felt they helped her as she was always depressed. my GP surgery has an online PHQ - 9 questionnaire that you can complete and then submit it, has anyone done this ? i'm not sure who reads the information on it or what they use it for ?

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

My doctor gave me a questionnaire to fill out to help assess my condition. It's probably the same or similar to the one you found online. I am on antidepressants now that work very well for me.

I hope you find something that makes you feel better. This site is a great place for talking to others who understand and won't judge you. Let us know how you are doing.

Take care,

Phyllis

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up