Low point

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Hope your all doing well,for me this past 2 days have been low,i feel as though i have hit a wall,the knee is aching alot and im so very tired from not being able to sleep at night.....cried today since i came home almost 4 weeks ago,felt so silly but i thought better out than in...Is it normal to feel like this,op was 24 days ago now,so still think im expecting too much. I start advanced knee class physio on wednesday,and i a way im looking forward to it,thanks for listening guys..x

1 like, 17 replies

Report / Delete

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Lou I think it's perfectly normal unfortunately. Going back through my posts on here I had a panic attack at about 12 weeks when I tried to get on a train. First time in my life. I've had so many ups and downs, I've lost count. It's difficult to pick yourself up but try to remember it WILL get better, I promise. It's the worst roller coaster ride ever.

It's my 37th birthday today. I've just been out for lunch but I'm 22 weeks post op and due for further surgery on Weds. Not really in a celebrating mood. I'm still in pain because my leg is bent at 30 degrees. I do feel like there is light at the end of the tunnel though. We all get there in our own way, mine is just a little bit of a backward route (my GPS is clearly buggered).

Your op was not even 4 weeks ago. Sometimes a normal bruise lasts longer than that. Remember what you've been through. Big hug xx

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks Kathryn,its just nice to hear someone who has been through this say it gets better,i think its mainly because im so tired,i do try and sleep during the day though..oh and happy birthday to you and i hope all goes well on wednesday..xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lou. Totally normal from what I feel myself and from what I've read by others. Not sure from what you say whether you are discouraged on progress made or if it's the pain getting you down. Make sure not to try and do too much. ?.we all do that..feel good then go bananas. ? Then back on our butts. Make sure as well to take pain meds if and when you need to. These days I cry at the drop of a hat. Chin up..hope you're feeling better soon!
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Lou, I feel bad you are feeling down, things do get better. I am 7 weeks post op, I feel great but am still so tired and don't seem to have as much energy, but the knee is better, not as much pain. I too felt like OMG what did I do when I first had my surgery but now I am so happy It is over with. You have gone through a lot. Keep chatting, it helps to read other peoples posts. There is always someone worse off than you. Smile and be happy
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hope putting it on 'paper' has made you feel better. sometimes a good grumble is helpful!  i think around three weeks it begins to dawn on us  exactly what a long hard job this is, and perhaps that leads to a bit of depression.  there are times when it seems there is no progress . .in fact, sometimes it seems as if the progress is actually backwards!  At four weeks i still wished I hadn't had it done. . still cried for no reason . . felt as if life was no longer worth fighting for. . but hey!!!  six months now, and believe me, it IS worth it!!!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Everything you have said hits home,so hopefully tomorrow will be a better day,i love this group as it always lifts my spirits and good to know that im not alone,thank you...
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm  just over 4 wks post TKR, and today I feel as though I want to fling my sticks away and go for. Long walk, then I wake up!!!!!! I'm fed up, constantly tired and my knee is so stiff. I'm doing my exercises but feel like my bend isn't progressing, and my leg is still quite swollen especially at the back of my knee. I elevate and ice after exercise but am just really fed up now of how slow recovery is. On a positive note I was taken out for lunch yesterday and today I had a walk or should I say shuffle round Matalans sale
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Aww bless you Lou, it really feels like 2 steps forwards and 1 step back at times, doesnt it? However, the further down the TKR road I get (Im 20 weeks out), the more I am able to accept that its all perfectly normal. I found that I encountered bumps in the road at regular intervals, and as one problem resolved itself, another one popped up more than happy to take its place! 

A word from my experience - if youre really struggling with sleep deprivation, speak to your GP. Mine is lovely and after I had a total meltdown in her office at about the 6 week mark,she prescribed me 10mg of Amitriptyline every night, It had such an impact - it was almost like it reset my sleep pattern. Although I still have the odd dodgy night where Im awake every hour, on the whole I can get 4-6 hours decent sleep - bliss lol! 

Always remember we're here for you sweetie, wwe laugh, we cry, and most of all WE UNDERSTAND xx

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I went thru the same issues, not sleeping and painful aching at night plus the feeling of being depressed. I think everybody goes thru that I talked to my doc and she gave me something to help with sleep and depression only temporarily. rememeber everybody's different and heal at different paces
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You are as normal as a spring rain. You've been fighting a battle by yourself, more or less. The surgeon is well in the rear view mirror, family and friends are wondering what's going on as they don't understand the process. Right now you are on an island and it's surrounded by murky waters. I'm exactly one month out today. If I hadnt been through this so may times I would be in exactly the same mindset. I know things will be better in a couple of weeks. I'll be able to intensify the PT and can move on to the 3 month slot and go from there. No doubt yo thought you would be more advanced. This is the presumtive feeling because a lot of surgeries and recoveries happen in the 4-6 timeframe but not this one. Just keep doing the right stuff at the right time and the waters will become clearer and all of the imagined sharks turn out to be little gold fish. You are doing great and will continue to improve. If the emotions get to far out of hand contact your gp and get a few feel good pills to get you over the jump. Don't despair-you are getting there.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lou

i'm at a similar stage to you (2 July op) and have had, and still have,all those symptoms.  I don't think my knee has been pain free in all that time, it's wither throbbing with burning heat or sending pulses of pain up my leg.  I ice it and elevate it (sometimes elevating it is very  uncomfortable) but it's always uncomfortable.  I have had many dips where I've started crying out of sheer frustration.

I'm interested in your "advanced knee physio" - what does that entail that is different from the exercises we're all given?  Interested to hear how you get on.

Also, because I couldn't sleep my GP prescribed Zopiclone - Half a tablet is enough to give me about 4-5 hours which is worth its weight in gold.  Lou, 

let's keep our chins up and we'll get through with this so helpful site.

best wishes.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi janice,nice to know im not alone in all this,im the same these past few days the knee has been so achey and painful,which seems to go down to my foot at times..i start the advanced therapy class on wednesday,so  i will let you know what that envolves,i think i will talk to my GP about the not sleeping,as i think that makes me feel low and so tired,also anaemic which doesnt help...x
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lou.......all I can say is I could have written this myself! I'm nearly 18 weeks po from new plastic knee cap and metal bit behind it. I've just had the day from hell. Yesterday I went to physio, told him about "good leg" giving way but he told me there was plenty of strength in it and then put me through my paces on exercise bike and the stretchy bands attached to the wall bars. Operated knee was definitely "looser" when I came out. Then I got up this morning. Everywhere ached, I also have fibromyalgia, so after exercising yesterday, I wasn't surprised. I went in to town with hubby, bought "air" sandals from Clarks (I so long for a little heel but these sandals will have to suffice until I feel stable). Then on returning to car, and luckily holding hands with hubby, it was as if both knees gave way and I stopped dead in my tracks. Boy it frightened me, so much that I burst into tears ......in the street, in full view of everyone. Poor hubby didn't know what to do with me.

So I've rested all afternoon and tonight I've just done the ironing.......but I'm absolutely shattered. My knee seems stiffer than ever, my good leg has cramp.......God almighty what the hell is going on?

BUT......I've just sat down, am icing knee and just logged on here...and lo and behold I've read all these posts and realise I'M NOT ALONE!

I hate these feelings, hate the crying, hate the depressing moods, hate people that can walk normally without pain and on odd days hate the whole world in general lol! But, I love this forum and the people that post their experiences - although we're all suffering we'll do it together. 

I'm sorry for my rant........but I feel better now! 

So, at 4 weeks don't worry, you're normal, we've all been there - log onto this forum at any time and nine times out of ten you'll find someone who is experiencing the same thing as you.......it is very, very comforting. Take care.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Pam your not lone in this fight I hope you write on this forum when your feeling bad or good. My knee does that give out as you described I have not hit the ground but it does scare me it's getting better the stronger I get
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up