Low tolerance to competition, critique and job stress

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi ladies, since the last year I can hardly cope with competition and critique that come with my job. I am good at what I am doing, but the job in general is competitive and there is also "the public" who is nowadays critical. I am naturally introverted, but I learned to be extroverted and optimistic in my job.

Now, in the peri, and especially since the last year, i am very very oversensitive to any sign of criticism, anything like "unfavorable" public opinion etc. I do not know how to cope. Have no strategy at all. I do not want to leave my job, and I am good at it, but this is all very painfull and I feel "harmed" most of the time. I feel like a teenage girl, rejected and crying in the corner. Anybody with similar experience?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes, my situation is almost identical.  I hope to figure out a coping strategy because I am my sole support and have been in my job for many years.  Do you also find that you have serious trouble with getting up in the morning?
    • Posted

Thanks Liz, I cannot say serious trouble, but I do not feel well in the morning. It is probably due to night sweating , I still have it, however not so heavy as before, I usually wake up physically "beaten". I need water, coffee and hot shower to get ready.

As for the job, i have seen some women around 50, 55 to leave the job "out of the blue " or due to some petty silly quarrels. I have always wondered why, and now I understand. The feeling of not fitting in, being "old", obsolete is terrible. It is irrational, because I am quite successful, it is all in my head.

• Posted

I understand.  I am the oldest staff member in my immediate group and it's hard to feel relevant anymore.  My supervisor is helping me get training in another area in our department where I can hopefully get a job sometime if there's an opening, and the mix of age and experience in that group would be a much better fit.  Like you said, it is all in my head - I can succeed in either group - but the age thing has become a big deal, and like you, I see why older coworkers leave or move to other positions.  It's hard when you feel like you don't fit in anymore.

• Posted

Dear Liz, that is true. I am also oldest in my department. My colleagues are 30 to 35 years of age. They could be my kids. I like their energy, they are hardworking and full of new ideas, but sometimes it is too much. Everything "new" is really NEW for them, but I have seen "new" so many times before, and because I am not excited from everything "new" as they are, I am afraid THEY might think I am "old". It is stupid, I know.

• Posted

Hi Lena, I have just walked out of my job. There was a petty quarrel but my emotional health was shot. I couldn't stop crying for days and just walked out. At the time I was on week 3 of Elleste Duet - the first two weeks I had felt a lot better - not tearful as I had been for months and definitely more resilient. Then as soon as I started taking the progesterone the bad mood and tearfullness came flooding back. Now back on the oestrogen part of the HRT and feeling much better again mood wise - but too late for me as I no longer have a job. I was extremely down 2-3 weeks ago and considered 'no longer being here' but thankfully I am. Have had daily headaches that painkillers don't touch - the type of headache I used to get years ago before a period but this one has lasted 5 weeks! (I had been on a contraceptive for many years which didn't give me periods). So my mood is more positive at moment but I have a banging headache and no job smile

• Posted

Same here!  I'm working mostly with a mix of young adults and college students.  I believe that there is room for both old and new, so to speak, and some of them really can't relate.  We are who we are and I do my best, but the generation gap gets a little wider every year.  I worry a lot that they see me as old and irrelevant.

• Posted

Dear Jenny, i hope you feel better. I do not know your current situation and I do not know if leaving your job is good or not, but I understand the inner turmoil you probably feel. And I definitely understand the physical aspect of the peri/meno, the pain and general feeling of not-being-well. Young people do not know. I also did not know. It is everyday struggle with headaches, cramps, pain all over the body, nausea etc.etc. And under this situation everybody believes one has to be cheerful, optimistic , fit-in. That is the diference between me and my young colleauges. As for the "job", I can beat everybody of them, but not in the generale "attitude" now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.